Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle washing tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
BrewersFanBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle washing tips

My process of washing bottles is incredibly slow. I learned it from the papazian book... I soak the bottles for an hour in a mixture of 2 tablespoons of bleach for every 6 gallons of water. Soaking this way is pretty time consuming. Wondering if anyone has any other tips for a faster way of sanitizing the bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Krelja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would get a bottle tree and a vitnator(may be spelled wrong). They work wonders at speeding up the process. I make a hot solution of PBW and water spray the bottles, then a quick hit with a bottle brush, then back on the tree. When I'm done with 20 or so I rinse the vitnator and put hot water in it and rinse all the bottles good. Last step is to put sanitiser in and hit them again. Then I'm good to go. I didn't mind bottling for a while but then I switched to kegging, what a difference. Once you keg your beer you will never want to bottle again. Yesterday I was able to keg 5 gallons of my light ale and my cider in under an hour sooooo much nicer than cleaning 50 bottles. Good luck and keep brewing

Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
sprocketmaker
Recipes 

I use a jet bottle washer that hooks to the kitchen sink, and a vinator filled with star san. rinse the bottle, brush, rinse again, hit it on the vinator and set it aside... next. once you get a good rhythm going, you'll crank out 50 bottles in about 15 - 20 minutes.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Oxyclean and hot water soak, Jet bottle washer rinse.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 204

+1 to the Vinator/bottle tree combo. I just got mine a week or so ago and it really speeds up sanitizing. For cleaning I'm still doing an oxyclean solution dunk, cap, and shake followed by a thorough rinse but that itself is a PITA and takes time. But at least my sanitizing process is insanely quicker.

Rev.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just rinse them out right after use with the jet bottle washer and let dry on the bottle tree. store them upside down in boxes, than when I'm ready to bottle they get hit with the vinator filled with starsan. the process is fast and easy

Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I do oxyclean 30min soak, then put 55-60 bottles in dishwasher and do 2 rinse cycles.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
muse435
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on tree/vinator.

It makes a huge difference in when you clean your bottle, I highly recommend cleaning, or at least rinse thoroughly right after you empty a bottle. If you don't the beer residue will cake and things will start to grow. If you do it this way all you have to do is sanitize right before you bottle.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
MackayClanBrewing
Recipes 

The easiest way I have found is to fill your primary bottling bucket with 6 gallons mix of Star San cleaner hook up your bottling wand and fill all of your bottles. Let sit for about 15 min. Wash out with cold water. Sling water out of bottle.

~Kyle Mackay

Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
I just rinse them out right after use with the jet bottle washer and let dry on the bottle tree. store them upside down in boxes,
Hmm... not so sure about that. While I too rinse well immediately after pouring out a beer, the beer bottle has been sitting for weeks bottle conditioning. A rinse will not clean out the inside. Proof in point, rinse one and let it air dry for a day or so and smell the bottle closely. There will be a residual smell from your last brew - at least there is on mine. Gotta at least give them some form of cleaning before sanitizing and rebottling. I don't use the Jet washer but just water alone doesn't seem enough.

Rev.

Quick Reply