Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle washing: by hand or dishwasher?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
brewbike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle washing: by hand or dishwasher?

Working on 4th brew and have always washed beer bottles by hand then sanitized them. I now have access to a really good dishwasher and my bottles are pretty dirty.
Would a pre-wash with a dishwasher be wise? I have heard that they are usually filled with bacteria. This one gets very hot at the end to dry things out.
Thanks!
Jeremy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
saintdog327
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the bottles are dirty inside I would recommend washing them internally by hand. This is mostly due to the fact that it's hard for water to act as an abrasive within a dishwasher when the bottle holes are so small. Plus, the dirty residue wont just fly out with some hot water and high temperatures. My suggestion would be to hand wash them with a bottle-cleaning brush + sanitization solution and THEN - if your dishwasher's sanitation cycle is hot enough - place them in the dishwasher.

Hope you find the answer you're looking for! Good luck!

Conditioning: Milk Stout
Current Process: Collecting / Cleaning Bottles

From Boston? Lets Brew Together!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 768 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Something else to try - When I pour a beer, I immediately rinse the bottle out with tap water and let it dry. That way, I never ever have to wash them. I just sanitize 'em right as I sit down to bottle.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
mikebowman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintdog327
If the bottles are dirty inside I would recommend washing them internally by hand. This is mostly due to the fact that it's hard for water to act as an abrasive within a dishwasher when the bottle holes are so small. Plus, the dirty residue wont just fly out with some hot water and high temperatures. My suggestion would be to hand wash them with a bottle-cleaning brush + sanitization solution and THEN - if your dishwasher's sanitation cycle is hot enough - place them in the dishwasher.

Hope you find the answer you're looking for! Good luck!
+1
If there's gunk in the bottom of the bottles, that probably won't come out in the dishwasher. Give em a good rinse/scrub with hot water, then once the insides are clean, use the dishwasher to sanitize. I've done it many times, though now I've got a vinator, which I find faster than a dishwasher.

If you've got mold in the bottles, I've found that filling them part way with boiling water, letting them sit for a few minutes, then putting my thumb over the opening and shaking does a pretty good job at dislodging it.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
brewbike
Recipes 

Thanks Guys. That is kind of what I thought.
No short cuts

Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Something else to try - When I pour a beer, I immediately rinse the bottle out with tap water and let it dry. That way, I never ever have to wash them. I just sanitize 'em right as I sit down to bottle.
+1

Also, if there is any gunk stuck in the bottle after a cycle in the dishwasher the drying heat will tend to "bake it on" if you will. You will end up scrubbing them anyways.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
+1 I rinse well right after pouring, then straight into storage to dry. Bottling day we just rinse again, StarSan and fill.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I only use the Sanitize setting for my dishwasher just before bottling. I never put them through a complete cycle.

I also subscribe to the practice of thoroughly rinsing my bottles before storing between bottling sessions. Another quick rinse and run through the dishwasher and I am good to go.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Like Jon and others have said, just get into the habit of rinsing them with water really good. I like to do mine before I go to bed. Never any worries that way. Couple of hot water swishes to make sure all the sediment and yeast is removed and you're good to go. Much easier than trying to clean them after the fact (and very little future contamination worrries).

I finally got a vinator for Christmas, so when I bottle tomorrow sanitizing will be a snap. Just invert the bottle, push down to spary the inside with star san. Put on the bottling tree and done.

Primary #1: Orange Pale Ale IV #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2099 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

That's why I think the vinator is really worth every penny. So quick & easy on bottling day. I've been doing 5 pumps per bottle,& it even disslodges small particles I may've missed. If you don't have one,get one with the bottling tree it fits on. It saves time & effort. Now I just need the faucet adapter for my spray wand (for cleaning my FV's),& the bottle blaster & I'm set.

Quick Reply