The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle it or toss it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
WortCarboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle it or toss it?

For my first brew I am doing a red ale. I just transferred the beer from the secondary fermentor into the primary with the sugar and it is ready to bottle. Due to time constraints I had to leave the beer in the secondary for about 2 weeks longer than I wanted to.

I just tasted the beer and it had a bit of a sour taste to it. It wasn't horrible and I could still taste the beer flavour but there was definitely a sourness to it.

Should I toss the batch or is it worth it to bottle and hope the flavour changes after its matured?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Why toss it unless you NEED to free up a vessel? You didn't say anything about SG or FG. What was 2 weeks longer than you wanted? At what temp did you try to maintain your brewing?

All things considered.. if I were you.. I'd not be hasty to dump it. Heck, leave it in the FV for another week or even two to let the yeast do it's magic.. prime and bottle. Then let it sit and condition for at least a few more weeks before trying to make any judgements. I'll bet you'll be quite surprised.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
ETCS
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It sounds like it's ruined. You should pack it up and send it to me for proper disposal.

Don't ever toss your beer. Time will heal all things. You should search that phrase and see the results that come up.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
WortCarboy
Recipes 

Awesome. Bottling it now. Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Dale_3rd
Recipes 

After bottling my first beer a while back, it seemed WAY to bitter and I thought I had done something wrong. Turned out that I just jumped the gun and never let it age in the bottle. Looks like you bottled it; try it in about 30 days and see what it tastes like.

Quick Reply