Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
travis2008
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle storage

Ok got my beer bottled today now i have 50 bottles of beer sitting on my kitchen counter. My wife asks "what are u gonna do with all this beer" to which i say "get drunk!" But really is there some kind of case that i can store these bottles in until thet are ready? Preferably waterproof with lid or is this asking too much

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
cutigerusa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What size bottles? I have been stocking up grolsch swing tops and found they fit perfectly in sterilite file folder bins and they cost very little and can stack easily etc...find similar that fit your bottle type well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BDTEWE/

Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Home Depot or Lowes etc. RubberMaid or Sterilite make many different sized tote boxes.

Milk crates work well also.

I have shelves where I put mine. The shelves are draped with old towels to keep the light away.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #4
Sailingeric
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I got a one of those file crate, $3.99 at Target this last weekend. A little flimsy but will work. It has a little space left over if doing 22 oz bottles. I am thinking of picking some of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/GSC-Techn...-002/204793156 I have some similar from West Marine and they hold 4x4 22oz bottles perfectly.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 AM   #5
aprichman
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use 6 pack holders and put my bottles in a bedroom closet below clothes on hangers. Trying to grab 12 bottle boxes every time I go to my LHBS so I can store and stack empty bottles.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #6
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I've found cardboard beer cases work well. I mean, I wouldn't mail them or stack 'em 10 high, but they're just the right size to fit the bottles snugly, especially if you throw four sixpack holders in, and they hold up well enough on flat, level surfaces, not moved around too often, and not stacked more than two high.

I'm guessing you're talking 12-ouncers, since you've got 50 of them, but wine boxes work well for bombers/750's.

Your local beer/liquor store should have a ton of 'em sitting around, and be happy to give you a couple the next time you stop in for "product research."

Old 01-21-2015, 01:51 AM   #7
Ski12568
Airlock Sniffs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by feinbera View Post
Your local beer/liquor store should have a ton of 'em sitting around, and be happy to give you a couple the next time you stop in for "product research."

This

Or buy a case so you have something to drink while you wait, then use the box. I bought a case as Costco and drank them for the bottles and the case to hold them.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
fuelish
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski12568 View Post
This

Or buy a case so you have something to drink while you wait, then use the box. I bought a case as Costco and drank them for the bottles and the case to hold them.
That's my favorite way, but sometimes just can't drink enough good beer fast enough for the required empty bottles/cases Brewed a lot of mead last year, have about 16 gallons to bottle after having recently bottled about 10 gallons....may have to pay the piper and actually break down and buy a few cases of empties....no biggie, locally available....

Old 01-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 661 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 128

In the past I have used the boxes apples are shipped to stores in. They are heavy duty and have a slide on cover. Made dividers to hold the bottles from lighter weight cardboard boxes.
I now prefer Northern Brewers 12" x 12" x 12" shipping boxes. These boxes don't hold as many bottles, so they are easier for me to carry as I age.
These boxes also have the height for liters and pint bottles.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2402 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 1772

I started using those boxes from Midwest, etc my grains & other supplies get shipped in. They're big enough to hold 25/26-12oz bottles. It also gives me the opportunity to print two large labels per page of label paper to label them for my little "brewery". Part of the fun.

Got a better label saved I should've used, but it's fun anyway & hold 1 or 2 more than a case & takes up half the area. They're not much taller than a regular longneck 12oz. I also like using Leinenkugel's 12 pack boxes, as they have separators. 2-3 layer tabbed tops as well as sturdy cardboard.

I also have case boxes from Bud, Leinenkugel's, etc. The point being you need to keep the light off of them. Not to mention boxes sturdy enough to hold the weight of the number of bottles in them. This being done, you can now put them anywhere the temps are right for carbing or merely storing without worry of light.

Quick Reply