The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle size and bottle conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
dotknott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle size and bottle conditioning

hey guys, this is my first post here so hello! I'm currently waiting on my first batch of beer which is currently hanging out in the primary fermenter.

I was wondering.. Is there any reason that bottle conditioning would take any longer in a larger bots than a smaller one?

Thanks!
MK

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Glad to hear your brewing. Bottle conditioning will take the same amount of time, big or small, about 2 weeks at room temp. (70f.)
mark
Beer Diary...

Old 02-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
dotknott
Recipes 

Awesome, thats what I figured, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't find that to be true. For me it usually takes longer the larger the bottle. YMMV...

Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've got to go with double e5 on this, larger can take a little longer. The standard is 3 weeks at 70° but bombers may take a week or two longer for complete carbonation.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I've opened 12 ounce bottles at one week and found them to be "satisfactory." But the usual rule always applies - the best bottle from any batch is always the last one!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I have some pints, 22 oz bombers and other sizes that I often use, but since I enter contests I usually also do a sixer or two of standard 12 ouncers for entering. And inevitably the 12 ouncers are done at least a week faster than the larger bottles....some times two weeks ahead of time...

Also the rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a normal grav 12 ounce bottle....to carb and condition....It takes longer for the yeasties to convert the larger volume in the bigger bottles to enough co2 in the headspace to be reabsorbed back into the solution...A ration I don't know how much...

Big Kahuna gives a good explanation here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.

Also read this...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/..._Conditioning/

You'll find that many people have observed that larger bottles take longer...And comparing 2 at the same time often results in a different taste, becasue they are conditioning at different rates...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/flav...7/#post1133388

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...atters-101628/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/does...onation-78194/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I also agree that larger bottles tend to take longer to carbonate. 12-oz bottles usually take between a week or two to carb up for me, depending on the style, with the occasional high-gravity brew taking 3-4 weeks. Larger bottles take a week longer.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 02-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
dotknott
Recipes 

Awesome, Thanks for the links.

I'm really excited to be making my first batch (and maybe my second sooner, rather than later.) I have an assortment of bottles at my disposal and was planning on bottling in 12's, 22's and possibly even in growlers, just to have a variety.

Is that a bad idea (this being my first batch) or should I be okay as long as I follow the guidelines of conditioning time?

Thanks again,
MK

Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotknott View Post
Awesome, Thanks for the links.

I'm really excited to be making my first batch (and maybe my second sooner, rather than later.) I have an assortment of bottles at my disposal and was planning on bottling in 12's, 22's and possibly even in growlers, just to have a variety.

Is that a bad idea (this being my first batch) or should I be okay as long as I follow the guidelines of conditioning time?

Thanks again,
MK
THe standard growler (from a brew pub) is not made to handle the pressure of the amount co2 needed for carbonation...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/expl...light=Growlers

There's plenty of other threads like that on here...

I would stick to normal beer bottles...regardless of the size...just remember store the beer at 70 degrees or higher, and give the 12 ounces about three weeks...If you taste it before, that's fine, but don't expect them to be fully carbed or not to taste a little green...There will be nothing wrong if either of those situations are the case...so don't start a panic thread about it...just know that you are not making coolaid....and most of us wait at least 3 weeks before openning a bottle...and even then if it doesn't taste right, we wait a little longer..

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-28-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply