Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle sediment???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Tilldeath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottle sediment???

So I know about bottle sediment and what not, but my question is in reguards to cold storing the beer. I don't have enough room to cold store a batch in the fridge so I leave it in the basement. My question is, knowing that cold storing your beer in the fridge will allow more yeast to bottom out and compact on the bottom, if I was to cold store half my bottles for 2 weeks and then switch the others out how would this effect my beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
FungusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've heard that chilling, going to room temp, then chilling again can cause off flavors/head retention problems in beer do to the way CO2 is absorbed. Is this an ale or a lager? If it's an ale I wouldn't even worry about cold storage. Just make sure your beer is refrigerated for at least 24 hours before drinking to once again, allow for that Co2 to be absorbed (ultimately helps with head retention and mouth feel). You might want to look around in the forums for some more information. good luck!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Don't worry about cold storing then pulling them out and warm storing them until you want to chill them to drink. Just leave them at carbonation/room temp and put just the beer you want to drink in the fridge a couple day before. THe stuff that you leave at room temp will continue to flocculate out, and then chilling them to drink (preferably for a week or more) will clear them even more.

You don't need to do it twice and risk any impact from temp shifts.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
Tilldeath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great thx that helps a ton

Quick Reply