Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottle sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Zero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottle sanitizing

I'm about to brew my first batch! In the meantime, I'm trying to get everything ready to roll. One of the things I of course need to do is sanitize my bottles.

Here's my question....is it possible to sanitize the bottles ahead of time, and then store them so that you can be sure you don't get any contamination? I would think that leaving them sitting out for a couple days is a good way to end up with problems, but I might be being too cautious.

Anyone want to share their methods? I just cant see myself sanitizing 50 bottles right as I am bottling the beer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
UnNatural
Recipes 

cover the opening with aluminum foil. Put them in a cold oven, set oven to 340 F. Leave for an hour once oven hits 340. Turn off the oven and let the bottles cool slowly in the oven. With the foil, they should stay sanitized indefinitely.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You can if you cover each with foil or store them upside-down.

I just rinse them in the sink by dipping them in watter for a few seconds and then shaking them with my thumb over the opening and then dip them in iodopher than shake again. I do two at a time, one in each hand. 55 bottles might take 10 minutes or so. I can bottle five gallons in about one hour (with everything cleaned and put away.)

Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Easiest way to sanitize, IMHO, is to mix up a spray bottle of starsan. Then just before you bottle you just give the bottles a couple sprays through the mouth, swirl around and dump in the sink. Bottle while wet and you're golden.

If you use a no-rinse sanitizer like starsan, you want to bottle when wet. If you do it ahead of time and let it dry, then you're leaving your bottles open to whatever might be floating around in the air.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I wouldn't....the best sanitizers, the ones that re recommend are no rinse, wet contact. Meaning you rack or bottle right onto the set with sanitizer surface. If sanitiser is left to dry, you have cut it's efficacy in half, whether you cover the bottles in tinfoil or not.

I believe, if you want to insure that you don't have infections issues, and ruined batches, is not to cut corners with your sanitization process.

Why do you think you can't see yourself doing the proper way and sanitizing 5o bottles on bottling day? It takes me 45 minutes to bottle a 5 gallon batch of beer, and that includes sanitizing them all.

My process is thoroughly detailed here...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Been brewing for abour 8 years or so and have never sanitized (with sanitizer) bottles. When I am ready to bottle, my 98% clean, label free bottles are loaded in the dishwasher for a high heat wash/heat dry/no soap. I do this the day before bottling and don't open the DW until I am ready to bottle.

Good Luck!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
michaeltrego
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoHomeBrewMafia View Post
Been brewing for abour 8 years or so and have never sanitized (with sanitizer) bottles. When I am ready to bottle, my 98% clean, label free bottles are loaded in the dishwasher for a high heat wash/heat dry/no soap. I do this the day before bottling and don't open the DW until I am ready to bottle.

Good Luck!
Ditto on Durango - same process for 17 years. Put clean bottles in the dishwasher the night before - no soap, high heat cycle. I bottled my Imperial IPA today - can't wait!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Matt_from_Georgia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoHomeBrewMafia View Post

Good Luck!

I heard that myself. I haven't actually tried it, but my logical sense. I think that is the COA I am going to try. Anyone else do it this way?
Oh...does that tatic only work w/ bottles or is there any other equipment or things of that sort, that this would be a good way to sanitize?

Last edited by Matt_from_Georgia; 10-18-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #9
Superbad
Recipes 

Do any of you use the oven route? Any tips on how to do that would be appreciated since our dishwasher's labels are all pretty much faded off and it's impossible to tell the specific settings.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
Eigenmusic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbad View Post
Do any of you use the oven route? Any tips on how to do that would be appreciated since our dishwasher's labels are all pretty much faded off and it's impossible to tell the specific settings.
Hah, yeah, I would definitely advise against using that dishwasher for anytihng related to sanitization; if it is as old as you insinuate, then I doubt it is working within the specifications it was designed for.
Bottled: #5-Cascade APA - OG 1.054 (2010-01-05 -> 2010-02-02), #4-Mega Chocolate Stout - OG 1.065 (2009-10-15 -> 2009-11-11), #2-Fresnos Tripel - OG 1.080ish (2009-08-18 -> 2009-09-30)
Dumped: #0-Improper Honey Infested Wheat
Consumed: #1-Proper Infested Wheat (bottled 08/04/2009), #3-Vanilla Porter - OG 1.062 (09/20/2009 -> 10/07/2009)
Infested Wheat: Hefeweizen made from the last, dusty bag of whole wheat from the old feed store 30 miles away.

Quick Reply