Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottle sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
BubbaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottle sanitizing

How long can the bottles sit after sanitizing? I've seen people leaving them in the dishwasher overnight.. thats ok I guess? I was just planning on soaking in no rinse sanitizer and letting them drip dry.. I have a pretty big dish drain I was planning on flipping the bottles over to drain in... Should the dish drain be sanitized as well since the bottles will be sitting on the rack? Do you sanitize a bottle tree?

Also, I've seen comments yes/no for sanitizing the caps... I've got a brand new unopened bag of caps... sanitize them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Pharmguy
Recipes 

If you use a high heat dishwasher and dont open it they can sit overnight. If you use a no rinse sanitizer you dont want to let them dry. Let them soak while you are preparing to bottle and take them out and empty as you bottle. I do 12 a time and it goes pretty well. I do my caps but lots of people in here do not and dont have any problems. Flip a coin.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Maveric777
Recipes 

I would think they would be OK over night so long as you don't mess with them (open the door etc). As far as caps go... I just get a bowl and mix a small no rinse solution and drop the caps into it. Can't hurt anything being a little extra careful....

On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter

Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm just a noob but why sanitize anything if you aren't going to sanitize the caps? It's touching your beer. It needs to be sanitized. It's not being "extra careful".

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
notwoohoo
Recipes 

I've heard that you don't want to sanitize the oxygen-fixing caps as it will render them ineffective at oxygen-fixing.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwoohoo View Post
I've heard that you don't want to sanitize the oxygen-fixing caps as it will render them ineffective at oxygen-fixing.
Well, you certainly don't want an infection, so I'm confused.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

Default oven sterilizing

Another way of sterilizing bottles is to "bake" them in the oven. You can see more of this technique in John Palmer's "How to Brew" which is free on line under howtobrew.com. Basically it involves heating the bottles in the oven at 338 degrees for one hour. Cover the bottle ends with a piece of alum foil. Since most bottles are of the soda lime variety of glass, they are more heat sensitive and they need to be heated and cooled slowly. With the foil covers on they should be sterile indefinitely until you are ready to bottle. You might want to wipe the openings with StarSan right before filling and capping. This is a sterilization procedure and not just sanitizing. This way you could do this the night before and not worry about keeping the bottles wet from a no rinse sanitizer.

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
BubbaK
Recipes 

I think I'll probably give the dishwasher a shot. I saw something about using oxyclean? I've got a new case of bottles and the rest are used bottles that have all been cleaned and run through the dishwasher already..

Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #9
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew-skies View Post
Another way of sterilizing bottles is to "bake" them in the oven. You can see more of this technique in John Palmer's "How to Brew" which is free on line under howtobrew.com. Basically it involves heating the bottles in the oven at 338 degrees for one hour. Cover the bottle ends with a piece of alum foil. Since most bottles are of the soda lime variety of glass, they are more heat sensitive and they need to be heated and cooled slowly. With the foil covers on they should be sterile indefinitely until you are ready to bottle. You might want to wipe the openings with StarSan right before filling and capping. This is a sterilization procedure and not just sanitizing. This way you could do this the night before and not worry about keeping the bottles wet from a no rinse sanitizer.
Thanks. I will probably do my first batch this way. Sounds way easier than anything else

Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #10
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

Have the bottles in the oven when you start heating, so that you are not subjecting the bottles to a rapid heating. When you reach the designated temp, then start timing. Let them cool in the oven. When cool enough to handle, then take them out of the oven. Make sure you leave the foil on when you store them. Take the foil off right before you are ready to bottle. Have the caps soaking in the starsan. Wipe the opening with a star san soaked sponge, or just dip the opening in the pan you have the caps soaking in.

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Quick Reply