The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Sanitization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
DuffmanAK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottle Sanitization

Ok, so welp I used what I thought was common sense, but we'll see.

So when I bottled, I used B-T-F (Iodine, I think) as a sanatizer. I diluted maybe 0.5 oz in probablt 2-3 gallons of water (enough to fill my sink). I submierged my bottles in it for a few minutes, took them out of the water, shook them dry then filled them. I also had a bowl of the stuff with my caps in it, so I'd shake the caps off before capping.

My questions now is: was that a good thing to do? I would think that the ultra-low concentration of iodine in the final product (e.g. the beer) shouldn't affect the flavor. Thoughts?

Also, is oxyclean free a sanatizer as well as a cleanser? In which case, should I just use that in the future and not BTF? Would I need to rinse bottles sanatized with oxyclean?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
chrisknight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Your good... BTF Iodophor is a no-rinse sanitizer. Sounds like you got the dilution rate about right. (I recommend starsan though)

Oxyclean is NOT a sanitizer. YES, rinse the hell out of bottles CLEANED with oxyclean.

Sodium percarbonate, as the warning label reads. A white, crystaline powder that will disolve in water to give oxygen. You don't want to oxygenate (aerate) your beer. Plus, its not food grade/safe.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
My brewing videos
My brew rig project

Last edited by chrisknight; 07-12-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good deal. I'm not totally certain on the concentration, was lotta eyeball'ing it. But I will say that the water wasn't brown/tan, was totally clear

I cleaned my bottles with oxyclean, but then had them soaking in the BTF solution so I figure they should be pretty well rinsed.

Edit: Oh and why starsan over idophor? What's the difference?

Last edited by DuffmanAK; 07-12-2008 at 02:30 AM.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
chrisknight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTF Iodophor & starsan are both good (and popular) sanitizers that are widely used in the food & dairy industries. I started out using starsan, so I stick to it. Its my preference. I didn't mean to insinuate that starsan is 'better'. They are both no rinse when diluted properly. 300ppm for starsan & 12.5ppm for Iodophor. That being said, starsan has a foaming action that will cause it to "stick" to surfaces which can be useful. This same action allows it to penetrate micro cracks and scratches, which is obviously useful.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
My brewing videos
My brew rig project

Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffmanAK View Post
So when I bottled, I used B-T-F (Iodine, I think) as a sanatizer. I diluted maybe 0.5 oz in probablt 2-3 gallons of water (enough to fill my sink). I submierged my bottles in it for a few minutes, took them out of the water, shook them dry then filled them. I also had a bowl of the stuff with my caps in it, so I'd shake the caps off before capping.
Iodophor is no-rinse at 12.5ppm (3ml/gallon).

Old 07-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Were the caps Oxygen-barrier caps? Soaking them will cause this feature to become useless, so you may want to check that out before you soak them again.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 07-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think they were.. they were just "generic" caps I got at my LHBS. I don't think there was anything on the label about oxygen barrier.

If I did end up with too high a concentration of idophor for sanitizing my bottles, is there any sort of flavor that typically has?

Quick Reply