Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Count\Batching Timing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
fg12351
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottle Count\Batching Timing Question

I just brewed my first ever batch on Sunday and am already dreaming of starting a second. I'm going to let the first ferment for 3 weeks in the primary then rack to bottles and let it sit for another 3 weeks, taking samples every week.

I'd like to start the second batch soon and know I would need to buy a second fermenter but I only own 36 22-ounce bottles. (I'm talking in 5 gallon batches here).

So how many bottles do you bottlers own? I'm not against getting more bottles I was just thinking I will have alot of beer in bottles pretty quick
and not alot of places to store them. Granted I'm going to be giving some away and drinking ALOT of it but I think it would be cool to have a couple of batches going in different stages and always have plenty ready to drink.

Any advice? Please share your experiences.

I guess this may be more of a batch timing problem.

Obviously this won't be a problem if my first batch tastes like crap!

FYI, I'm only brewing extracts with specialty grains at this time as I am a newb.

Thanks,

FG12351

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Catch-22
Recipes 

I personally would skip testing the bottles for the first two weeks. It will be green and undercarbed and you have wasted a couple. As far as bottles, I have around 150 or so that I try to rotate out. Even if you decide to keg, you will still use a lot of bottles. IMHO

Side note,

I get a case of rootbeer in the brown pet bottles for my son and his friends. They disguise the beer real well on the Golf Course.

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
archiefl98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've got about 15 cases of 12-ouncers, a few cases of 22-ouncers, and ten corny kegs. Usually have a couple kegs and a few cases empty at any given time though.

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine

Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was keeping 120-150 12 oz bottles until recently when I started kegging and now I only keep enough for one batch around. This does save on space and it much less work( think 5 minutes to wash a keg versus 1 hour or more for all those bottles), but expect to come out of pocket for around $125-$150 to get started. I have seen a posting on here where people put everything inside of filing cabinets in 6 packs and it seemed work well and didn't use up much space.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have around 8-9 cases of 12oz bottles, so I guess that's around 200+ of those, and also about 30-40 22oz bombers; those combined max out my available storage space for bottles. I happen to have built-in shelves in the pantry that are the perfect size for storing 12oz bottles in the cases, but not much space for the 22oz bottles, which is why I have been sort of slowly phasing those out of my brewing process.

Of course I am likely to be moving soon, so I might even switch to kegs in the near future depending on how the storage space works out.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i've gotten between 1.5-2.5 cases for each 5 gal batch i've bottled. It would be a good idea to get more than you need just in case. I also got into kegging. It just makes it so much easier

Old 03-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I'd suggest have as many bottles as you can store.

Just buy beer in bottles and drink that beer and save the bottles. Wash the labels off and then use them for homebrew. BUT don't use twist off bottles. The twist type bottles aren't strong enough for carbonation.

If your having trouble drinking your way to a large supply of empty bottles. Ask your friends to help. Also, bars will sometimes give away empties. I scored several cases of the grolsch flip tops from a bar owning friend.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
PolishLogic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got 48 22oz bottles (for now), and recycled a case of 12oz bottles (working on recycling a second case of 12oz at the moment). This way I bottle 24 22oz per batch, and the rest of the beer goes into 12oz, so I can crack the 12oz open to check the carbonation process along the way without having to sacrifice that much beer. Obviously, as I give beer away I'll be restocking the 22's

I've attempted to space out my "pipeline" so that I get a new batch ready at roughly two week intervals. 1 batch in primary, 1 the secondary, 1 conditioning, 1 drinking. Going to be adding another primary shortly though, so I can also do a few batches that need to sit longer without having to sacrifice keeping a constant supply flowing.

However, that being said, I've already got a mini fridge that's waiting to undergo a kegerator conversion in the next couple of months, so I can make the jump to kegging. At which point, I'll probably only bottle an occasional "special" brew and hand a few out to friends and family.

Bottled: St. Paul Porter, Waldo Lake Amber, Pumpkin Pi, "Dubbel Play" Ale, Big Honkin Stout, Polish Ale
On Deck: "Beyond the Pale" Ale, Patersbier, NB Innkeeper Ale, SN Tumbler Clone, Dry Irish Stout

Old 03-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have accumulated 24 22ozers and a bunch(I would say 70 usable) 12 oz bottles. However in my family even if I am brewing 5 gallons a week it usually disapears faster than I can max out my bottles. You will learn 5 gallons is not as much as it sounds afterall :P

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 03-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Typically I have 4 to 5 cases of used bottles in reserve. Normally 44 bottles per 5g batch. It's all a timing thing and winter I have more bottles because I brew less in the -10 degree weather and 56 degree basement.

Once you get going the bottles will take care of them selves. Just buy 6 packs of beer that have labels that come off easy and buy OXY Clean for getting the labels off.

Plus - I have 1,475 bombers left!! long story! it helps though :-)

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Quick Reply