Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Conditioning worries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
BaconManic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Conditioning worries

I know the general rule is relax and have a homebrew, but I just want someone to hopefully put my mind to rest.

I had bottled some beer about two weeks ago, now on week 3, and a few days ago it got really warm out. We had our windows open, but the thremostat said the house got up to 87!! I usually just keep my beer in my upstairs office while it ferments and conditions/carbs. I am now worried that after being in that heat for around 6 hours is going to ruin the brew!

Once I thought about it I grabbed all my beer and moved it to the basement, where it was much cooler. I am not sure how much cooler, but I would imagine under 70.

So I guess there are two concerns here. Will the beer have problems that it got that warm in the house? Will the temp change from high-80s to high-60s cause a problem? Also I had just bottle another beer (Firecracker red ale) a few days ago. Will this one be ok too?

Am I just over reacting? I need this beer to turn out so I have something good to drink again!

Sorry to seem like such a noob!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You're worrying for nothing, everything will be fine. Neither of those things will affect your beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

it'll be fine, not much is going on at this point to alter ur flavors.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
BaconManic
Recipes 

Thanks!

So would keeping everyting in the basement from now on, even it does get to the mid/low-60s ok?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

once it's carbed it doesn't matter either way.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
BaconManic
Recipes 

Alright.. But how would I know when Carb is done? I thought it should be 3 weeks to carb beer?

The Red Ale was only bottled for 3 days before all this.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 226

That heat shot might help it carb up ever so slightly quicker.

You shouldn't routinely store the beer at 87 degrees - it won't last as long that way - but a few hours is not going to hurt anything. Relax.

As for how will you know? Hmmm... when you open one and it is carbed right, you will know.

Try to leave it alone for 3 weeks, then check. Note that even if the beer is perfectly carbed, the taste will likely still improve over the next few weeks as the beer ages a bit.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
BaconManic
Recipes 

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should just move my whole set up to my basement being in the Mid-60s I guess is a good all around temp for every step. Fermentation, carbing and bottle conditioning.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

No. It is actually better to have your beer above 70 for bottle conditioning. The yeast is at it's most active. Too close to the yeast's dormancy temp and the yeast is sluggish.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
BaconManic
Recipes 

Well sorry for the late response to this. I left the bottle condition for a few extra weeks. Then I started to take one bottle a week to see how they carbed up.

Needless to say the last bottle, that sat for about 2 months (before chilling), carbbed the best!

I guess the lessons learned here are..
1. Keep an eye on your temperature
2. Nothing is ever hopeless
3. Time heals all wounds
4. I am not a fan of the way fruit beers look after furmentation (like barf) or the way they taste.

Thanks all!!

Quick Reply