Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle conditioning in WARM apartment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
BrettV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Bottle conditioning in WARM apartment

I poked around for a bit, checked the FAQs and I don't see this topic addressed (however if any mods know of one off-hand, feel free to link and lock.)

I live in an apartment building in New York City. We don't have many windows, hence not much airflow. It's hot and stuffy, and I have no access to a basement. I recently just bottled my first beer, an American style wheat, and they're sitting in the coolest place I could find. However, coolest place in my apartment means 78 degrees. I was able to keep the temp down in my fermenter by submerging the carboy in a water filled Rubbermaid container and putting a few ice packs in, but with 45 12-oz bottles, I don't think that method is optimal.

So here are my 2 questions:

1) Will the warmer temps negatively impact the beer? I know warmer fermentation temps tend to speed up the process and produce banana-y esters; does the same apply for bottle conditioning?

2) If said warm temperatures are going to make my beer taste really funky, how have other apartment-dwelling brewers overcome this problem?

Primary: Big Bear IPA, Petits Jour de Chien Saison
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simcoe Stupid) Pale Ale, Little Bear Kolsch
Planning: RyePA, Nutella Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't worry about it. The little amount of fermentation that takes place in the bottle isn't going to cause any noticeable flavors. Since the main fermentation is already done, you don't have to worry too much about temps. Although, I wouldn't leave it in a 100F room, 78F will be fine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 06-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You'll be fine. Heck if it's in the high 70's it may even knock some time off your carbonation/conditioning time. It may be ready in 2 weeks rather than the usual three.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
kwaidonjin
Recipes 

I rotate my bottles behind a dehumidifier, It gets warm behind there, bottles get as hard as a rock in 3 days. Have not noticed any flavor impact.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I second Revvy's notion. I bottled an IPA, and did it with some DME versus corn sugar. I was expecting a delayed carb, but it was around 80 degrees for a couple days in my apt. I cracked one open after under 2 weeks and it was perfect.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks, guys! Guess I need to just repeat Charlie Papazian's mantra...

Primary: Big Bear IPA, Petits Jour de Chien Saison
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simcoe Stupid) Pale Ale, Little Bear Kolsch
Planning: RyePA, Nutella Stout

Quick Reply