Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle conditioning temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottle conditioning temps

I know we're supposed to do it at 70, but I have no way of controlling the temps, as I am too pressed for space in the only air conditioned room which is where I am now fermenting. The best I can do is seal them back up in their cardboard cases and put them in the basement. It is a few degrees below outside temperature down there, but only maybe three or four. I am also pressed for space in this area so I can't get any type of chest right now. Is this going to be a major problem? I am only doing ales of course, until I get some stuff cleared away, my reloading stuff moved, and get some time/money/decide I really want to do this long term.

Bill

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

As long as you're not subjecting it to extreme heat, it'll be fine. Off flavors from temperatures develop in primary during fermentation.

If you can keep them under 90F they'll be fine.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
As long as you're not subjecting it to extreme heat, it'll be fine. Off flavors from temperatures develop in primary during fermentation.

If you can keep them under 90F they'll be fine.

Yup, this hit the nail right on the head. Shy away from the extremes and you will be fine.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1, I tend to ferment at optimum temperatures, but as soon as I keg/bottle, they are outside my chiller at house temperatures that range from 75-85.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Quick Reply