Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle-Conditioning Temperatures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bottle-Conditioning Temperatures

What temperature is best to condition my bottles at? I was thinking of giving it two weeks at 68 F ish and then leaving in in the fridge for the last week. What temp. do you keep your bottles at?

Keg 2: Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I keep them at room temperature until carbed, then store either in the laundry room (in the 50's) or basement.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
max-the-knife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not an expert by any means because the last two brews I did, took 4-5 weeks to develop carbonation in the bottles. My problem was that it was a bit too cool in my storage area (65 F) and my yeast worked very slow. After 3 weeks I realized the problem (plus some questions answered on the forum) and I gently agitated the bottles and placed them in a room that was 72 F. Now they are carbonating nicely.

SECONDARY #1: empty
SECONDARY #2:
empty
KEGGED: American Lite Lager
FUTURE PROJECTS:[/
COLOR] IPA, Bock , Black Lager

Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew
What temperature is best to condition my bottles at? I was thinking of giving it two weeks at 68 F ish and then leaving in in the fridge for the last week. What temp. do you keep your bottles at?
Just like Yooper said. I go 2-3 weeks at room temp is good.

When its been cold in the house, and the beer was pretty clear at bottling, I also try to get them at the higher fermenting temp for the 1st day or two. (68-72'F) I have a warm spot in the house that I use for this.

For best results don't put them in the fridge until the 3 weeks are up. Also if they are right at the 3 weeks let them sit in the fridge two days before popping one open. The cold will reduce the internal pressure and let them carb a little more. If you can't wait the two days, after they've chilled, let it warm up for 5-6 minutes before opening. The carb will increase slightly.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
hoppyhopman
Recipes 

I've had my Dunkelweizen in bottles now for over 5 weeks, and they're still fairly flat. Over two weeks ago, I moved them from the 60 degree garage to the top shelf in my closte, with a heating pad, spacer, and an overcoat over them. Getting temps from 70-75 degrees. Yesterday I opened one, and it's still flat.

Is there any hope for this batch?

I want to repeat the batch, but I don't know what to change. I don't think the primary fermentation has anything to do with carbonation, but that first 2 week ferment may have never reached 70 degrees. Is it possible it's related?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhopman View Post
I've had my Dunkelweizen in bottles now for over 5 weeks, and they're still fairly flat. Over two weeks ago, I moved them from the 60 degree garage to the top shelf in my closte, with a heating pad, spacer, and an overcoat over them. Getting temps from 70-75 degrees. Yesterday I opened one, and it's still flat.

Is there any hope for this batch?

I want to repeat the batch, but I don't know what to change. I don't think the primary fermentation has anything to do with carbonation, but that first 2 week ferment may have never reached 70 degrees. Is it possible it's related?
What was the OG? Bigger beers take longer to carb and condition.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
hoppyhopman
Recipes 

Sorry for the late reply. Its OG is 1.06.

I opened another the other day. No apparent increase in carbonation.

Elsewhere on this forum, someone suggested, maybe as a last-ditch, to shake the bottles over a period of a couple of days, then wait another week, presumably to break up any flocculation (I do see some minor flocculation) and maybe get some more fermentation. I'll try this on a couple of bottles.

Another thing I saw is to actually open the bottles, put in a few grains of dry yeast, and cap them again.

Your thoughts?

Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I would leave them alone at 70+ degrees for at least three weeks before I opened them up to add some yeast though.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

I don't believe there are ANY carbing problems (besides the rare capper that maybe puts a bad seal on a bottle, or tired yeast in a HIGH gravity beer) that isn't simple impatience.

As I said in my bottling blog, it's really a fool proof process, you add sugar, keep the beer above 7 and wait.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

it's amazing how difficult that equation is until you see that diagram!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
Zak Likes This 

Quick Reply