Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Conditioning a Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Glavin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Conditioning a Stone Ruination Clone

I have a Stone Ruination Clone (I'll post recipe if needed)

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.016

It spent 3 weeks in Primary and 3 weeks in secondary with a dry hop. It has been in bottles stored at 70degrees for 4 weeks now.

My question: To bring out the full potential of a beer do they need to be continually stored at a higher temp 65-70? Or is it fine to store them in the fridge at a temp of 32-35?

I also have a wine fridge I can set to any temperature if neither the 65-70 nor the 32-35 are ideal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My best results with a big IPA like that have been to transfer them into the fridge for a couple weeks after your initial bottle conditioning. It really worked to clear the beer up for me from previous batches that I drank sooner as well. Still, it's an IPA so drink 'em up pretty young. The aromatics dissipate over time.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glavin View Post
I have a Stone Ruination Clone (I'll post recipe if needed)

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.016

It spent 3 weeks in Primary and 3 weeks in secondary with a dry hop. It has been in bottles stored at 70degrees for 4 weeks now.

My question: To bring out the full potential of a beer do they need to be continually stored at a higher temp 65-70? Or is it fine to store them in the fridge at a temp of 32-35?

I also have a wine fridge I can set to any temperature if neither the 65-70 nor the 32-35 are ideal.
You need to kep it at 70 degrees if you want it to fully carb and condition, more than liekly it's NOT carbed yet, and if it is it still probably taste rocket fuel-ish....My 1.090 Belgian didn't carb for three months (mostly because the ambient temp of my place was low 60's over the winter) but it still needed 6 months to mellow out.

They don't call this beer "Ruination" because it's pi$$ water. It's gonna need plenty of warm/ambient time to mellow.

Don't put the yeast into a dormant state by cooling 'em off now...let them have the temp to work at.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
My 1.090 Belgian didn't carb for three months (
Wow.......

Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
Wow.......
Lazy Llama came up with a great chart to help us all know when something is ready...

I think a 1.080 OG is gonna lean towards the "love you long time" side of the scale.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
peripatetic
Recipes 

Revvy, that is the most awesome chart EVER. I could even understand that one DRUNK!

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Another win for the Reverend. xD

I actually have a batch of Ruination clone conditioning myself-they've been bottled since the 15th, and after tasting one just now, it definitely needs more time. (Does a screaming green apple taste strike fear into your heart? It should.)

Definitely a 5-6-weeker at least.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Last edited by scrambledegg81; 10-27-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Glavin
Recipes 

Thanks for all the input

Just cracked one open and it tastes amazing, but I'll keep the rest at 70 for 2 more weeks.

Last edited by Glavin; 10-27-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply