HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottle conditioning really does pay off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
Norest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottle conditioning really does pay off

my other 4 batch's i let got for 3 week usually , this time i had the patience and let them go for 6 weeks and man did it pay off , even the clarity greatly improved .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Axegod
Recipes 

I have to hide bottles at relatives houses sometimes.....Its really hard not to constantly sample.

Good to hear your waiting paid off.

Cheers.

On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Old 03-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The turtle theory works for me. Glad to hear some made it to maturity!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
lgtg
Recipes 

Default Aw Man.....

I need accountability for this in a stupid way....I only brew half batches, my LHBS is over two hours away and I lack complete and total control....

Compulsivity is my middle name.....glad you all are being successful here....

Old 03-09-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It really pays off for bigger, dark ales like stouts and porters. I have kicked myself many times for drinking most of a batch within a month of bottling, only to find a few stray bottles many months later and they are SOOOOO much better. Now I condition in the secondary for a month, then bottle condtion for at least another when brewing bigger/darker ales.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtg
I need accountability for this in a stupid way....I only brew half batches, my LHBS is over two hours away and I lack complete and total control....

Compulsivity is my middle name.....glad you all are being successful here....
Why are you brewing half batches? I can't imagine doing this much work and waiting 6 weeks for 28 beers, thats not even a beer a day for your wait!

I'm about to get another carboy so I can get two batches going at once. I need to stock up on bottles though. Every 12er of cindercone is another half case I can bottle later

Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
ryan99
Recipes 

The waiting is the hardest part. "Tom Petty"

Old 03-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
lgtg
Recipes 

Default Minimally Constrained...for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook
Why are you brewing half batches? I can't imagine doing this much work and waiting 6 weeks for 28 beers, thats not even a beer a day for your wait!

I'm about to get another carboy so I can get two batches going at once. I need to stock up on bottles though. Every 12er of cindercone is another half case I can bottle later

Rook,

I'm at ahlf batch for the time being as I got a Beer Machine for Christmas (I picked up a Mr Beer for a secondary vessel for $10) to experiment with. My wife thoughtfully bought me the gift of beer and said that if I liked brewing that the following Christmas she would upgrade me.

So, it's been small batches but it's not any less fulfilling! Space is a commodity at this point but I've been planning and I think that with the patience, I could be brewing full batches by next year. Yes, I brew under a case at this point because I ususally test 6 to 12 ounces suring fermentation and claryfication for off flavor and contamination. Just picked up a hydrometer and testing cask and that will further deplete the final volume but I'll brew as often as I can and be happy with whatever yield.

The major objective right now is to brew accurately, build confidence by knowing that no matter how or how much I brew, it's always good or better beer.

Just maximizing the value of the gift for now......looking forward though, always looking forward.

Quick Reply