Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle conditioning question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
dickproenneke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Bottle conditioning question

I there any harm letting bottles condition next to a forced air heating vent? Would excess heat potentially harm the beer?

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You just don't want them to get above 80-85 degrees. Other than that you should be fine

Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing
You just don't want them to get above 80-85 degrees. Other than that you should be fine
Thanks. But what are the risks? Skunking? Off flavors?
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Shouldn't skunk as long as they're not exposed to light or oxygen. Storing beer in too warm of an environment for a long period of time could decrease the life of the beer. Off flavors or hot alcohol could develop if they're left to ferment or carbonate in too warm of an environment. Warm air for 5 minutes at a time shouldn't cause the temp in the bottles to rise. If you left them next to a radiator that continually pumped heat, I'd be more concerned.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 798 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 345

I'm wondering the same thing. My basement is 60-65 degrees. Fermentation seemed to go fine at those temps but after reading various things here, I'm pulling out the space heater after I bottle. Hoping to be able to control the temp but am guessing I'll be high more likely than I'll be low.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's no danger of the beer getting to 80-85 degrees. Lord knows the temp shifts commercial beer goes through through the distribution chain.

No, there's nothing wrong with setting them by a heat vent. If you have a sleeping bag or a box you can put around it, it will block out any light.

I had to do this with my Iron Brewer Entry, since it was carbing fast enough in my 60 degree apartment. Wrapped the milk crates in a thermal snuggy, and put them in my kitchen between my keezer and the heat vent. Worked like a charm.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Ridire Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

<snip double post>

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

If fermentation was OK at 60-65, then what problem are you trying to solve by storing the bottles at a higher temperature? All you're doing is adding a risk of off-flavors from the yeast working at higher temps.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Ridire
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 798 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagamoreAle View Post
If fermentation was OK at 60-65, then what problem are you trying to solve by storing the bottles at a higher temperature? All you're doing is adding a risk of off-flavors from the yeast working at higher temps.
I just keep reading from people who know a lot more than me that bottle conditioning should be at 70 degrees. I'm too wet behind the ears to question the logic.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2114 Times on 1851 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

You won't get off flavors bottle carbing/conditioning at temps higher than ferment temps. Ferment temps do not apply to bottled beer. These low temps can cause the yeast to go dormant. Or not carb up very fast,if at all. I've been through this stuff. Carbing & conditioning at 70F or higher is the temp needed for them to carbonate & condition properly in the normal 3-4 week range.
Then 1 week in the fridge to settle chill haze,if any & get decent carbonation & head. 2 weeks for thicker head & longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation. Fine carbonation bubbles & thick head gain extra points in comps.

Quick Reply