HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle conditioning question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
iliketacos43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottle conditioning question

About 6 days ago, I bottled my highly hopped APA. In the bottling bucket, it taste like a damn good APA with lots of hop taste. 6 days in the bottle (seems like carbing is almost done) and the taste is almost undetectable. Will the taste eventually show up again after some warm conditioning and lagering? Doesn't really taste like a pale ale now..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
djinn88
Recipes 

I don't know how it would lose hop taste within six days. The best prescription for this is to wait the usual 3 weeks from bottling and try again. As for overall time lines, hope taste will diminish over time (3+ months at least), certainly not 6 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
If the inside of your fermenter looks like there was a monkey pooh throwing contest...you're golden.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Like djinn88 said, your beer shouldn't have lost all of its hoppiness in a matter of 6 days. If anything, carbonation should bring out more of the hops. Give it some time... What was your hop schedule?

Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
rudu81
Recipes 

On a similar subject I did a bourbon barrel stout and had a huge nose and flavor when I checked at bottling time, which is slightly less in the bottle. Pour it into the glass and it all comes back. My guess is that carbonation will help and that pouring into a glass will also give off more smell and taste.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
bgrayson726
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have no idea how the hop taste could have diminished over such a short time. I brewed a Belgian IPA that had ~124 IBUs and was very bitter after a week, but after 2-3 months, it was one of the best IPAs I've had (not tooting my own horn, just saying) because that hop bitterness was so much less after that time. If the hop flavor isn't where you want it after a few weeks, you can always throw a hop pellet or two into your glass when you pour it. This will bring out some hoppy flavor

Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
iliketacos43
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you think it could be from off flavors of the bottle fermentations covering up the hops, and maybe that will clear in a few weeks? I was careful not to oxidize at bottling as well

Quick Reply