Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle condition vs secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Bottle condition vs secondary

I have an oatmeal stout in Primary which has been there for 18 days now. My gravity is now stable and I am wondering if there is a difference between bottling now and letting the beer sit in bottles to condition for probably 5 weeks or if I should rack to a secondary and let it condition there for a while longer before I bottle?

Any input?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You will find Many of us here leave our beers in primary for a month, it is actually very good for the beer to leave it around that long...it improves taste and clarity vastly...

There are several dozen threads about long primary or no secondary, at least three a day asking your question...if you wanna know what it does and why we choose to do it, just do a thread search on those key words...there's like at least one new thread on it every 2-3 days so there's plenty of info.

I would leave it a month then bottle....you will STILL need to bottle condition, there's still cleanup and mellowing that can only happen in the bottle in the 3-6 weeks at 70 degrees under carbonation....Most of my stouts and porters don't come into their own for about 6-8 weeks...and that's even with the long primary.

It's not really a versus issue...you can't escape bottle conditioning/carbonation.

THere's more info here, Revvy's blog- Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

I'm glad Revvy beat me to it. I need to set up a copy/paste database like yours.

Yeah, same thing he said. Just read his post twice for emphasis.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
I'm glad Revvy beat me to it. I need to set up a copy/paste database like yours.

Yeah, same thing he said. Just read his post twice for emphasis.
But you have to post your drawing at least, with the time frame.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
....Just read his post twice for emphasis.

hehehe. I am going to have to remember that. Good one LL.

Now, I will agree with the venerable Revvy just to make it unanimous.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
IXVolt

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Thanks. I've been browsing the threads about conditioning and ran across a wide range of approaches.

Again thanks for the link. Looks like I need to brew more, stouts take longer to mature than I first realized. I'm in no hurry, just want to do it right.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You will find Many of us here leave our beers in primary for a month, it is actually very good for the beer to leave it around that long...it improves taste and clarity vastly...
I am fairly new to this as well, just opened up a primary for brew day #6. However, a sweet stout I brewed a while back, that is now bottled, was left in the primary for 28 days, this weekend it will have been in the bottle for 1 month. I tried the first after 14 days in the bottle and it was damn good, best brew yet, and I attribute that to the extended primary, beforehand, I primaried for 7 days, then 10 days, then 14 days, honestly I think 1 month in the primary has made an enormous positive impact on this beer. I am just now getting really good carbonation and the flavor has mellowed nicely. I was so impressed I am going to try to duplicate this brew as exactly as possible for brew day #6.

Primary for at least a month, my LHBS sold me a 5 gallon BB secondary, and I just make Apfelwein and fruit beer in it now!

Happy Brewing!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 05-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
spin02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just made a Belgian Honey last night. My plan was to leave it in the Primary for a month, then several months in a secondary, then bottle condition for several more months. Should I just skip the secondary and bottle condition? or should I leave it in the Primary for longer. From what i understand these Belgian's require quiet a bit of aging. The OG was 1.080 and I used a starter that was on stir plates for a few days.

On Deck: Big Hoppa v2.0, Traditional Porter, Scottish 60
Fermenting:
On Tap: Danky West Coast IPA, Dark Sky English Mild

Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin02 View Post
I just made a Belgian Honey last night. My plan was to leave it in the Primary for a month, then several months in a secondary, then bottle condition for several more months. Should I just skip the secondary and bottle condition? or should I leave it in the Primary for longer. From what i understand these Belgian's require quiet a bit of aging. The OG was 1.080 and I used a starter that was on stir plates for a few days.
For Belgians and other stong ales, secondary for a couple month is a good bet, just to get some bulk aging time. I think for my belgian I did a month primary, then 2 in secondary, an after 3 in the bottle mine are only now starting to carb, and lose some of that rocketfuel taste.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a Dubbel in the primary now for 12 days, I was going to leave it in there for 1 month and bottle condition for a few months, is a secondary really necessary? My OG was 1.078, higher than I estimated (1.070) I primaried at 65 degrees for 5 days (it volcanoed for the first 2) and then allowed to warm to room temperature since then (approx 74-75 degrees). I didn't plan on using a secondary for this.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply