Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottle cleaning advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
brewhymn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default bottle cleaning advice...

Ok, i'm going to bottle my first batch of beer this week and need to clean my bottles. I was going to soak all the bottles in a large plastic storage container, but cannot find any oxyclean. I'm hoping i don't have to go to the store, and am thinking of using a bleach solution. is this a viable solution? after they have soaked, can i just rinse with iodophor or do i need to do the dishwasher or oven sanitizing method. i know a lot of this has been gone over before, but am mainly curious about bleach instead of oxyclean.
thanks in advance,
brandon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

I don't see a problem in that if you dilute the bleach to proper levels (1tbsp per gallon). I have got sort of lazy lately when it comes to my bottles though.

I make sure I rinse them out thoroughly once they are opened and let them dry completely. After that I just store them until I run them through my dish washer w/o soap and let them cool and bottle. No problems so far

Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I typically run mine through the dishwasher (with no soap, and no jet dry). Let them be heat dried, then sanitize as normal with iodophor. You can clean with bleach if you want, but you need to make damn sure its rinsed completly off, you dont want any chlorine tastes in the finished product.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used bleach as a cleaner for many years, and it works just fine. Just remember: cleaner: 1 tbs/gal, sanitizer: 1 tsp/gal.

Rinse very thouroughly.

You can also use TSP (Tri-sodium-phosphate) as a cleaner, available at most hardware stores, at 1 tbs/gal.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 11-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yeah, I used bleach for years, just make sure you dilute and rinse well.

Basically, after you rinse it two or three times, then smell it.
If you don't smell bleach, you're good.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I got lazy with bottle cleaning on a batch of IPA this summer. Turns out Montrachet yeast from Apfelwein survives my usual "three rinses with hot water after pouring" regimen and leaves a faint film of yeast on the bottle bottom. Probably turned into a film of dead yeast-fed bacteria after sitting in the basement for awhile. Survived the Starsan rinse before filling and had to dump a bunch of them, they got way over-carbed, nasty "off" flavor, weird fluffy sediment on the bottom instead of the usual compact yeast cake.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 11-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
spaceboi13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I typically run mine through the dishwasher (with no soap, and no jet dry). Let them be heat dried, then sanitize as normal with iodophor. You can clean with bleach if you want, but you need to make damn sure its rinsed completly off, you dont want any chlorine tastes in the finished product.
I do the same except I use Star San and I have yet to have any problems

Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
brewhymn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, here's another question. my bottles are "recycled." the ones i drank i know i've rinsed out fairly well. the ones my buddy contributed i'm not so sure about. i was just planning on cleaning them all well just in case. I think i'm going to see if i can find some oxiclean when i go to work and soak in that. sounds like i may have less problems with risidual chemicals.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
mugglesport
Recipes 

How long does iodophor take to sanitize bottles? I ask because so far I've been handwashing all of my bottles with a brush, rinsing them with a bottle washer, then filling up my sink with iodophor solution, submerging the bottles (working all the bubbles out), and letting them sit for 5 minutes before rinsing them out again with the bottlewasher. However, using methods like the Vinator seem to only provide a couple of seconds of contact between bottle & iodpohor.

Last time it took me an hour to clean all my bottles. I think next time I'll just do the dishwasher method (I'm pretty good about rinsing out bottles after they're poured) and a quicker soak in iodophor.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I use oxyclean (or cheap knockoff to clean bottles soak off labels and scum) rinse and bleach to sanitize. 2 stage process but works fine for me.

have 1 batch of label removed bottles soaking now in bleach in a big cooler.
need to start soaking labels off of another batch. in second cooler.

need to bottle 2 batches in a week. (3 batches bottled in 3 weeks) Wheew! I hate bottling. really wish I had room for a small fridge and a keg set up.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply