Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Chunks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
LeverTime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bottle Chunks

I just bottled my first beer with coconut, and I couldn't get 100% of the chunks out of the liquid. Is it ok to bottle with a small number of coco-chunks, or will that destroy the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It wouldn't "destroy" the beer, whatever you think that means. But it might not be the most pleasant drinking experience.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The chunks should settle to the bottom of the beer during conditioning and chilling. Be sure to keep the bottles upright, then when you are serving, just leave the bottom 1/2 inch in the bottle.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I guess I should have been more descriptive, I was worried about it creating off flavors, or affecting the carbonation / conditioning period in a negative way. The first half of the bottles I filled did not have any visible chunks, but the last half all have some floating in the top.

Unless this beer is super delicious, I do not think I will make it again, due to how hard it is deal with these coconut chunks.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
jwplessner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Don't let that nuance hold you back! Racking gently or through a sanitized hop bag may have produced less chunky results.

The beer could be awesome. If it is, Home Sweet Homebrew is taking entries for the Malt Madness competition at the end of the month.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwplessner View Post
Don't let that nuance hold you back! Racking gently or through a sanitized hop bag may have produced less chunky results.
I tried a sanitized coffee filter on the intake, but it just got clogged up. I do not have a hops bag, but if I ever make this again I wil give that a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwplessner View Post
The beer could be awesome. If it is, Home Sweet Homebrew is taking entries for the Malt Madness competition at the end of the month.
That sounds awesome, but I think this will still be green by then.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
jwplessner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Maybe, but the comp itself isn't till mid September. Last submission date is a week or so into the month. This is a good chance for you to get some bjcp feedback. Worth six bucks and two beers in my opinion.

Quick Reply