Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle carbonation theory

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
BrookdaleBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bottle carbonation theory

I have noticed when I bottle carb that the beer generally stays hazy for about 24 hours and then drops completely clear. I can only assume that this means the yeast is done eating the priming sugar at that point. Also, most of my starters ferment out in 24 hours (granted, with a lot more yeast... but also a lot more sugar.)

I'm no scientist, but I've always assumed the reason it takes a standard gravity beer at least 3 weeks to carbonate is because that is the amount of time it takes for enough CO2 to be absorbed into solution at room temp.

So, assuming that yeast generally ferment out my priming sugar in 24 hours and knowing that CO2 absorbs into solution more quickly at colder temps (kegs generally carb after 1 week in the fridge at serving pressure), would it stand to reason that if I let a beer stay at room temp until it clears, then throw it in the fridge for a week, it would come out perfectly carbed since the CO2 is already in the headspace of the bottle and just needs to be absorbed into solution?

I decided to test this theory with my latest batch and will report back with results. If anyone else has tried anything like this, I'd love to hear your experiences.

NOTE: I am in no way saying you can speed up CONDITIONING time this way. I would only attempt this method with smaller, low ABV beers that can condition in a few weeks time. I am only attempting to speed up the carbonation process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

It's an interesting experiment. How many yeast (i.e., did you get any trub in there) would also have an effect on your results. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't secondary but I am very careful not to disturb the yeast cake when I rack from primary to my bottling bucket, so I don't generally end up with a lot of sediment in my bottles.

That being said, it does not take much yeast to prime a 12oz bottle. Sierra Nevada is filtered then bottle conditioned (after adding more yeast of course) and the sediment layer in their bottles is barely noticeable.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No, traditionally you speed carb, by warming the beer up, not chilling it. Put your beer above your referigerator or near the furnace and you will have your beer carb faster than the 3 weeks @ 70 we recommend.

Chilling actually RETARDS the process of conditioning and carbonating.

And just because a beer appears to be dropping clear, doesn't mean what it is dropping is yeast, OR that just because some yeast may be falling that the ALL the fermentables needed to produce enough co2 to max the headroom and force the co2 into solution, has yet been generated. That is what truly causes a beer to carbonate, NOT the cold drawing the co2 into solution. Maxing out the headroom and not blowing the bottle up forces the co2 to take the path of least resistance and go into solution. Cold just later locks it in, it absorbs the rest of it, but not the brunt of it that truly carbs the beer.

All you will be doing is drawing out a natural process by slowing the yeast down and forcing them to dormancy in the fridge.

Don't forget there's other things in the solution that are also dropping out, and that too is what you are seeing. Not just yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

My guess is that it won't work. I tend to need about 7 days for normal gravity beers that spent less than 2 weeks in the primary and more time under other circumstances.

I believe Boulevard and Sierra Nevada both do one week warm and in their case they are repitching extremely vital/viable yeast. They do that storage at considerable expense and both are positioned at the low end of the craft beer price range. If you could do one day warm, they would be doing that.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Remilard's right about repitching, that's another way to speed up carbonation, OR to insure carbonation in higher grav beers.

I think "normal" grav beer is subjective. My normal beers tends to have a starting gravity of 10.60 or above. Where other folks normals could be milds, or things in the 1.040-1.060 range.

We tell folks 3 weeks @ 70, because that seems to be the average for beers around 1.060. Plus most folks keep their houses around 70 degrees year round. But beers take less or more time depending on several factors, mostly grav and carb temp.

For me, I'm not out to win a race, I don't care if my beer takes 3 weeks, or 8 weeks to be drinkable, so I don't try to do anything special. For the most part I brew relatively regularly, so I have a fairly deep pipeline, of stuff at all levels of maturation, from things bulk aging for 6 months or more, to stuff that I pitched yeast 2 weeks ago, to stuff that I bottled 3 weeks ago, to stuff I bottled over the summer. So I'm not necessarily rushing to drink everything I make. I wait 3 weeks minimum before trying ANYTHING I make these day...if it's ready, great, if it's not...back in the closet.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
DarkUncle
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Would carbonating the bottles in warmer temps create any off flavors as it would during primary fermentation? Afterall, carbonating the beer in bottles is just a small scale fermentation in a sealed environment, is it not?

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Old 11-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My closet where I am fermenting and carbonating is staying right at 64 degrees, is that too cold for ale? Should I warm it up or simply adjust my time.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 11-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUncle View Post
Would carbonating the bottles in warmer temps create any off flavors as it would during primary fermentation? Afterall, carbonating the beer in bottles is just a small scale fermentation in a sealed environment, is it not?
I think the bigger danger at that point is bottle bombs, not off flavors.

Although freshly bottled beer tastes much worse than the flat beer that went into it the week before, I've observed many times.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUncle View Post
It's too small a scale of fermentation, but too high may affect long term storage of the beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
My closet where I am fermenting and carbonating is staying right at 64 degrees, is that too cold for ale? Should I warm it up or simply adjust my time.
Just adjust your time...expect it to take longer. I have that issue in the winter in my loft.

Quick Reply