Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Carbing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
cooper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Bottle Carbing Question

Quick question. The last brew I did I left in the primary for 4 weeks and then bottled; on bottling day I used corn sugar to prime and I put about a table spoon of rehydrated yeast in with it because I figured the leftover yeast would not be up to carbing the batch. The beer carbed up great.

THIS time I bottled after 4 weeks with carb tabs and I didnt add any extra yeast... It's been five days and no carb yet. Does anyone have any experience with this and did I make a mistake?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
dougf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
THIS time I bottled after 4 weeks with carb tabs and I didnt add any extra yeast... It's been five days and no carb yet.
Give it time! None of my brews have been carbed in 5 days. Leave them between 68-72 degrees for two full weeks, pop one in the fridge and try it out, should be fully carbed. If not, let sit another week.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
cooper
Recipes 

That makes me feel a lot better. I guess my main fear was that there wouldn't be enough yeast left to carb it since before I've always added a little in the past just to be sure.

So you never add additional yeast at bottling time even when you let it sit for a month in the primary? It was very clear going into the bottling bucket btw.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Sometimes 3-4 weeks even, don't worry though... I have beers that had nodda after 2 weeks but after 4 were 1/2" great head... Just be patient and it will all work out.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
boydak
Recipes 

Need to measure in weeks not days.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You don't need to add any yeast at bottling time, unless, 1)you've been bulk aging for 6 months or more in secondary. 2) You have made an extremely high gravity beer and your yeast may have tuckered out.

But at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, yadda yadda yadda, you don't need to add any.

If a beer isn't carbed and conditioned at 3 weeks, it's just not ready yet. The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
fellbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had bottle conditioned beers take 6+ weeks to fully carbonate. It all depends on the yeast!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Of Revvy's 20K posts, at least 5K must be addressing this very question.

I don't know why anyone would expect to see carbonation after 5 days.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
cooper
Recipes 

I didnt expect to see carbination after five days, I was just worried that there might not have been enough yeast left in suspension for carbination. I guess I could have said that a little better in my original post.

Thanks for all the great advice though. It helps me as I'm still learning what to expect and what will turn out and what wont.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
I didnt expect to see carbination after five days, I was just worried that there might not have been enough yeast left in suspension for carbination. I guess I could have said that a little better in my original post.

Thanks for all the great advice though. It helps me as I'm still learning what to expect and what will turn out and what wont.
There's really plenty of yeast to carb our beers under normal curcumstances no matter how long you primary secondary your beers, really until you get into the nearly a year or more mark.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply