Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Bombs! Is the rest of my brew ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Hebby5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Bombs! Is the rest of my brew ok?

I got back from a great family vacation today and checked on my batch of brew that I bottled a week and half ago. To my surprise, I found two bottles that had exploded. After I finished cleaning up, I thought to myself "self it is warm". Then I remembered, my wife turned up the thermostat to 76 while we were gone for the last 5 days.

We are cooling down the house to our typical 72. Is the rest of my bottles of brew ok? Should the rest of the aging process take place in the fridge?

As always, thanks in advance.

Chris

Ps. It was an IPA: 9 days fermentation plus I dry hopped in the same fermentor for 6 more days, OG 1.064, and FG 1.013.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

How much sugar (and what kind) did you use during bottling? What procedure did you use to mix the sugar with your beer?

Did you see any indication that those couple bottles were infected, and that the other bottles wouldn't be?

I ask these things because we have to determine whether your entire brew has the same amount of sugar and sanitation. Because if so, they *all* run the risk of exploding.

I don't think the temperature should matter. I had two cases bottle conditioning in an 80 degree room this weekend, before I remembered to move it down to the cooler room.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Hebby5
Recipes 

I used a package of corn sugar from my LHBS that is for one "batch" of beer. I followed the instructions on the bag (boiled water (1 cup i think) and had the corn sugar fully dissolve). I then dumped it in my bottling bucket and then auto-siphoned from the fermentor over to the bottle bucket.

I had two cases of bottles that I cleaned and sanitized. One case was very clean to start with, cleaned, and sanitized it. The other case was sitting around from some time ago and had to clean out extra funk on some bottles. Now that I think about it, some may be suspect but thought that I sanitized all very good.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you sanitized well than I think you should be fine. I think bottles would be a hard spot to pick up infection. If my beer makes it pre pitch, through fermentation in a plastic bucket and through all the vinyl siphon hosing without an infection, I don't see sanitized bottles being a problem because there is not much sugar in the beer, and there is alcohol in it.

The heat can cause a bottle bomb, but any reasonable indoor heat shouldn't cause a bomb on an otherwise normally carbonated beer.

My vote is that you didn't mix the priming sugar well enough. That was the case with my one bottle bomb. I would just move them all to a safe spot away from people and pets, and somewhere that will be easy to clean up, in the event that another blows.

My guess is that they won't.

Actually what size batch did you make? the packet from your shop was for 5 gallons presumably

Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
drathbone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The temp wouldnt cause bottle bombs. Once the yeast eat all the sugar, they can't produce anymore c02 as a biproduct. So either it's carbed, not carbed enough, over carbed (potential for bottle bombs) or infected - once the sugar is gone, it's gone, no more c02.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
liebertron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think it has to do more with the type of beer and the type of bottles. They do make different thicknesses of bottles for different types of beers that put more pressure on the bottles. Do a little bit of research in that area and see if you cant find some info.

Your beer should be fine, ive yet to see a single batch that wasnt drinkable other than that it tasted bad.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Hebby5
Recipes 

it was a 5 gallon batch. The bottles are mixed. Some from different beers that I've purchased and some from bottles that I bought from my LHBS.

I am guessing it could be one or multiple issues coming together for these bottle bombs (unclean bottle but not the batch, warmer temp, and priming sugar not mixed correctly).

I just put one in the fridge. I'll check it out tonight and report back.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

What happened was the yeast woke up in the warmer temperature and had a case of midnight munchies, and decided to eat not only your priming sugar, but more of the wort sugar as well. Now they produced more of the CO2 then they were supposed to and you get the bottle bombs.
1. Put the rest of the bottles in the fridge ASAP.
2. Get yourself the biggest beer mug you can find.
3. Open beer very carefully over the sink and poor it gently to your over-sized beer mug.
4. enjoy your beer! RDWHAHB
5. If you ever use this yeast again, try to do a diacetyl rest.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Hebby5
Recipes 

Quick question. When you poor your corn sugar / water mixture into the bottling bucket, do you typically stir it up after all the beer is siphoned over? I haven't done that in the past but have read some other threads of folks doing this.

Thoughts?

Chris

Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebby5 View Post
Quick question. When you poor your corn sugar / water mixture into the bottling bucket, do you typically stir it up after all the beer is siphoned over? I haven't done that in the past but have read some other threads of folks doing this.

Thoughts?

Chris
Yup, you want to mix the sugar with all the beer to get even distribution.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Quick Reply