Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Bombs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 465 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 209

If all the bottles do the same thing after being in the fridge for a week or two then infection is likely. If jus a few then you got a bad priming mix. It's best to create a simple syrup by boiling the priming sugar in two cups water, cool and pour into bucket and rack, the swirl will self
Mix and then with a sanitized spoon give a gentle swirl. This process will give you an even distibution

Your process requires more work and increases the chances of oxidation as well as a poor mix

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
lordotheporto
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I had an experience with exploding bottles. It was with a Dark Maple Ale extract kit from Midwest. The cause, I am most certain, was over-carbonation. It sat in Secondary for several weeks (at least 3); fermentation was complete. Sanitation was sufficient (clean bottles overnight in dishwasher on Sanitize, StarSan for all equipment, etc.). Priming sugar was boiled in 2c water for 10 min, cooled, poured into bottling bucket and 5 gal beer siphoned into it so it was thoroughly mixed. The only thing that remained was the quantity of priming sugar. I used the entire 5oz provided by MW. I could tell, every bottle was extremely carbonated, and they foamed over quite profusely. On my second attempt, I cut back to an equivalent of 3.5-4 oz and the problem diminished significantly, if I recall.

Lesson learned: 1) Determine the desired CO2 volume for the style you are making. 2) Calculate the wt. of corn sugar needed for that volume, for the temperature of your room. 3) If applicable, convert to equivalent wt. of a different sugar if you are not using corn sugar. 4) Always dissolve the sugar in boiling water to ensure thorough mixing and sanitation.

Follow these guidelines and I'm sure you'll have better results next time!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Draken
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

So I had an infected batch recently. I manages to fridge it before any exploded, but I was able to visibly inspect the bottles and see there was something wrong. Take a flashlight an look at the top of the liquid, mine had a slightly whitish film on it. I don't know why I was looking at them with a flashlight, but I fridges the whole batch and sure enough every single bottle foams over when opened. So take a peak for a film on the surface it may indicate if it was just over carbed or infected.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

A wise thing to do is periodically check on your condtioning beers if you long term condition. Red flag is a foaming bottle when properly chilled or just overcarbonation if you know you didnt use too much priming sugar. I have maintained some infected batches and overcarbonated ones succsessfully from being consistantly observant and trying a bottle every few weeks. Ive saved batches and havent dumped a batch yet, although I only dumped a few prematurely uncarbed bottles i was impatient to try before a week.

Quick Reply