Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Bomb Concerns?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Nummey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bottle Bomb Concerns?

Hi,
Just bottled my 3rd batch last night. It was a Brewers Best IPA kit and I ended up getting 28 16.9 OZ bottles...approximately 3.7gallons total.
Unfortunately I lost some beer to the trub and during bottling. It sat in primary for 22 days
OG was 1.061
FG was 1.011
I primed with 5oz of sugar (amount intended for 5 gallons) and the bottles are sitting in a room at 72-74 degrees. Do I have any potential exploding bottle issues due to too much priming sugar?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If that's 5 oz by weight, it would be a lot for 3.7 gallons. I don't know exactly where the dangerous level starts, but I think you're there.

It was probably finished fermenting, but you can't be sure if you didn't check gravity twice, 2 - 3 days apart to be sure it was stable. If it wasn't through fermenting, that adds to the bottle bomb potential.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Nummey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
If that's 5 oz by weight, it would be a lot for 3.7 gallons. I don't know exactly where the dangerous level starts, but I think you're there.

It was probably finished fermenting, but you can't be sure if you didn't check gravity twice, 2 - 3 days apart to be sure it was stable. If it wasn't through fermenting, that adds to the bottle bomb potential.
I did take a reading on day 15 and it was at 1.011 and on day 22 it was the same...so it was done fermenting. As for the sugar, I emptied the 5OZ bag that came with the kit into 16oz of boiling water

Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 315

I'll have to agree. That's quite a bit of priming sugar. Plus, you used bigger bottles, so there's less headspace to compensate for the extra pressure. I'm not sure if it will result in bottle bombs, but I would definitely be cautious. If nothing else, they will certainly be over carbed. I would wait a few days, vent and recap.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Did you add the sugar to 5 gallons and then only bottle 3.7? If so you primed correctly. If not it is a lot.

Question? How did you lose so much to trub. The worst I have ever lost was about 1/2 gallon. Did you dry hop? (I use paint strainer bags for the hops, both in the boil and for dry hopping.) If not I would look carefully at your procedure to see why you lost so much.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Nummey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Did you add the sugar to 5 gallons and then only bottle 3.7? If so you primed correctly. If not it is a lot.

Question? How did you lose so much to trub. The worst I have ever lost was about 1/2 gallon. Did you dry hop? (I use paint strainer bags for the hops, both in the boil and for dry hopping.) If not I would look carefully at your procedure to see why you lost so much.
Thinking more about it, I added the priming solution to the empty bottling bucket and filled the bucket to just over the 4 gallon mark...so like 4.25 gallons of which was primed with 5 oz of sugar. I did dry hop in primary and there was a lot of junk in the bottom of the fermenter that I didnt want to rack into the bottling bucket. There was a bit left at the end of the bottling bucket that was chunky looking so I just tossed it.....so looks like the combo of 3 gravity readings, a loss due to trub in primary and then a little left over in the bottling bucket accounts for my loss

Quick Reply