Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle aging question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
MisterOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle aging question

OK, so I brewed an ESB a few weeks ago and it has been in the bottle for about 2.5 weeks. I put one in the fridge yesterday and tried it after it was cold. It was pretty good. Not my favorite, but then that's not my favorite style - I mostly did it because my wife and best friend really like that style.

So, after drinking the tester, I put a few others in the fridge for future consumption.

Now I'm thinking the beer could probably do with a bit more aging. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect it's true. The ones that I have in the fridge now... if I take them out, will they continue to bottle age properly if I take them out and let them go back to sitting in the closet at about 70 degrees? Or should I just leave them and not worry about it since they are definitely drinkable?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

If you take 'em out, they'll continue to condition and carb once they warm up. I've noticed that english pales and bitters tend to be best after a month or so of conditioning. I recently had an English IPA that carbed in a few weeks, but really didn't turn the corner and taste great for a couple months.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 690 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 47

They're just drinkable now, but I bet they'll be awesome in another 2.5-3 weeks.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Let em condition! I just made a ESB and added some Special B to it. At first hated it but later I was amazed at how much it changed it 3 weeks.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Quick Reply