Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > From bottle to 2l starter. How long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
rtb178
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default From bottle to 2l starter. How long?

Let's say I wanted to build up a yeast vial from a bottle of La Chouffe. I have a stirplate. Realistically, how long would it take me to get from the dregs of a bottle to a 2l starter (or more)? I'm a little confused on timing, and know that you all have experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb178 View Post
Let's say I wanted to build up a yeast vial from a bottle of La Chouffe. I have a stirplate. Realistically, how long would it take me to get from the dregs of a bottle to a 2l starter (or more)? I'm a little confused on timing, and know that you all have experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks.
If you asking from a planning/estimation perspective, then I'd say plan for at least a week to be safe. There really aren't many hard and fast rules when it comes to harvesting from bottle dregs - it's far less predictable than building a starter from a smack pack or vial.

One "rule" when bottle harvesting is to keep the SG of your wort lower than normal, like 1.030 instead of the common 1.040. It's said to be gentler on the yeast. Then to build up any more significant numbers you'll have to step up the starter with another dose of wort. On subsequent times it's OK to do the normal 1.040. There are other "rules" for the volumes to be used in subsequent steps, but I don't often remember those.

I don't have any experience with that beer, but I'll tell you once when I harvested Pacman from a bottle of Dead Guy, it took about 72 hours to even see an initial "bloom". Then because it was the multi-step starter, it was another 48 hours for the next step. Then I decanted before pitching, so another couple of days.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23 View Post
If you asking from a planning/estimation perspective, then I'd say plan for at least a week to be safe. There really aren't many hard and fast rules when it comes to harvesting from bottle dregs - it's far less predictable than building a starter from a smack pack or vial.

One "rule" when bottle harvesting is to keep the SG of your wort lower than normal, like 1.030 instead of the common 1.040. It's said to be gentler on the yeast. Then to build up any more significant numbers you'll have to step up the starter with another dose of wort. On subsequent times it's OK to do the normal 1.040. There are other "rules" for the volumes to be used in subsequent steps, but I don't often remember those.

I don't have any experience with that beer, but I'll tell you once when I harvested Pacman from a bottle of Dead Guy, it took about 72 hours to even see an initial "bloom". Then because it was the multi-step starter, it was another 48 hours for the next step. Then I decanted before pitching, so another couple of days.

That's really helpful, thanks a lot. I've cultured yeast from a 6-pack of bell's (w/o stirplate), but never from a (750ml) bottle, so I wasn't sure. The ABV is a little higher as well, but hopefully not too much. Will make sure to keep it slow. Hopefully this new stir plate will be helpful as well.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb178 View Post
Hopefully this new stir plate will be helpful as well.
It most likely will. It was the difference for me. My first two attempts on bottle harvesting were without a stir plate and they both failed. My first success was with a stir plate. Good luck!

Quick Reply