Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > botting 24 oz'er

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
nelgbot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default botting 24 oz'er

Ok so I brewed a five g batch of so kolsch beer and I fermented it 3 weeks In the primarythen bottled in 24 oz bottles about 25 for the 5 gallon batch will the carbonation take longer about the same I heard somewhere it took 8 months for someones brew to properly carbonate to drinking status mind you it's been in the fridge for one week? Or did I completely funk up thanx y'all

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
frozt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you used the correct amount of priming sugar the ratio should be uniform for the whole batch, so it should take about the same time to carbonate regardless of bottle size. The 8 months story was probably someone waiting for a higher ABV beer to MATURE (taste right, not carbonate). Last, and most important, they shouldn't be in the fridge right now. You want to leave them at ~70F for 3 weeks in order to carbonate, then chill em, else they won't carb. Should be fine if you just take them out and let them warm up to 70.

Primary:
Bottled: Modded Sierra Madre Pale Ale, Irish Red, Ska True Blonde Clone, Chocolate Stout (Partial Mash), Dead Ringer IPA (Partial Mash), Cider, Dead Ringer IPA (Extract), Orfy's Mild(AG), Busty Brunette Blonde(AG), Dead Ringer(AG), Chocolate Stout(AG), Pumpkin Ale(AG), Tits Up IIPA(AG)
Planned: Framboise

Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
eibbor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

for the beer to carbonate it needs to be held at 70 degrees, so id take it out of the fridge...

“The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.” ~ Egyptian Proverb quotes

Old 02-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
mpenn35
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I recently bottled some 24 ouncers and I cracked one open after 10 days and it was pretty decently carbonated. It could have been a little more carbonated, but it was certainly decent. Tomorrow will be two weeks since bottling, so I'll probably crack one open tomorrow to see what it's like now.

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat, Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout, Dubbel Trouble, Extra Special Bitter, Strawberry Blonde, Oatmeal Stout
On deck: Maple Stout, Milk Stout, Black IPA

Bring the Cup to Philly

Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Bombers and other big bottles can take a little longer, but just to reaffirm what people have said: get them out of the fridge. You want these bottles at 70F or something in that neighborhood (60-80) until they're carbed, which could take 2-4 weeks.

Wouldn't hurt to shake those ones from the fridge to make sure the yeast haven't all dropped out, too.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Koelsch is one of my favorite beers. In fact I'm getting ready to brew some up in the next couple weeks. After 3-4 weeks to carb up in the bottles, give it at least another three weeks in the fridge to cold condition-you'll be glad you did. You will likely have some chill haze if you drink it early, but that's really only aesthetic.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Quick Reply