Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Both my fermenters are the same size is this a problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
NorthStreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Both my fermenters are the same size is this a problem?

This is my first batch, I'm making White House Honey Ale, it's only been sitting in primary for two days now so if this is a problem then I do have some time to solve it. I was watching some videos on how to rack your beer to a secondary fermenter and a couple of them said to use a smaller fermenter for secondary fermentation, both my bucket and carboy are 6 gallons and its a 5 gallon batch is this a problem? When I transfer will the extra space be an issue? Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Nope - only a problem if you are trying to use a 5 gallon fermenter to ferment 5 gallons of beer. (A whole other topic - do a quick search if you are curious - but you don't necessarily need to do secondary at all. You can just leave it in primary for 3 weeks and then move to bottling bucket to bottle.)
If you were going to secondary ferment for a long time, the extra headspace might be an issue for oxidation. But, generally - you are fine.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
texwake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
Nope - only a problem if you are trying to use a 5 gallon fermenter to ferment 5 gallons of beer. (A whole other topic - do a quick search if you are curious - but you don't necessarily need to do secondary at all. You can just leave it in primary for 3 weeks and then move to bottling bucket to bottle.)
If you were going to secondary ferment for a long time, the extra headspace might be an issue for oxidation. But, generally - you are fine.

I agree. Your fine right now but further into your brewing experience you might want to look into getting rid of that headspace. If you just begining your brewing experience I dont think you need to worry about it right now.

Quick Reply