Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > boozy twange off-flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
drakerebel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default boozy twange off-flavor

Hey all,

i'm looking for a bit of help on my first 3 batches i've brewed. The first was a brown ale (extract), second was a india brown ale (extract) and the third was the same recipe although i made the iba via BIAB. it seems with all three that i've had an off-flavor that me being a newbie hadn't figured that it was a sign of something gone wrong. but i had let a buddy (that brews quite often) taste and he had stated the same think that i had pondered.

so, what is typical for giving the boozy twange? is this the same as someone calling it "fusel alcohol or nail polish"? my ferm temps were low (under 70, more like 66-68) and i can't pinpoint any one thing.

and if there's more input needed on my brewing just let me know.

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
elatowski
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Are those ferm temps the ambient temperature or the temp of the actual beer? How long did you let it bottle condition?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakerebel View Post
Hey all,

i'm looking for a bit of help on my first 3 batches i've brewed. The first was a brown ale (extract), second was a india brown ale (extract) and the third was the same recipe although i made the iba via BIAB. it seems with all three that i've had an off-flavor that me being a newbie hadn't figured that it was a sign of something gone wrong. but i had let a buddy (that brews quite often) taste and he had stated the same think that i had pondered.

so, what is typical for giving the boozy twange? is this the same as someone calling it "fusel alcohol or nail polish"? my ferm temps were low (under 70, more like 66-68) and i can't pinpoint any one thing.

and if there's more input needed on my brewing just let me know.

thanks.
66-68 Ambient Temps or Fermentation Temp? Your fermentation temp will come up 5-10 degrees during active fermentation. To battle this I use a swamp cooler.

Also, do you know anything about your water? Chlorine or Chloramine in tap water is not good for beer. And will give you a medicinal off flavor, which can come across as boozy. http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html. A good way to combat this is to crush up 1/2 a campden tablet (potassium metabisulfate(sp)) and add to brew water before heating up. Within minutes it will drive off all the chlorine/chloramine. I also filter my water, but before I bought a filter I was only using campden tabs and they work great.

Some people recommend brewing a batch with RO water, you can pick up at health food stores and organic markets, its usually pretty cheap $0.45 a gallon or something like that if you can find the places where you bring your own container and just fill it up. I know the Whole Foods and Mom's Organic markets in my area have the stations.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
drakerebel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My temp was off of the temp strip on the carboy...it normally read 64-66 so I stated the higher due to the internal being warmer than the strip... but 10 degrees offset? That seems like a lot? I only accounted for a couple of degree difference I guess.

And I use bottled spring water. I have Camden tabs but didn't use due to non city water being used...correct?

And the room was dark also.

Everything else visually looked perfect about the brews.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If the temp strip is properly applied and accurate then it is measuring the fermentation and your stated temps were correct. They were just clearing up that the fermentation, and not the ambient room temperature.

I'm not sure but I'm under the impression (and I could be wrong) that fussel alcohols are not really what I would call (and language is subjective) "twang". I *think* fussel alcohols (if indeed it was fussel alcohol) more of a sharp alchohol taste (like vodka or rubbing alcohol) and *I* think of twang as ... well, more sort of stale and off, like orange juice that has been sitting in a cardboard carton too long compared to orange juice that is fresh. But I could be utterly mistaken in what is basically subjective language to describe an area which we don't have an adequate vocabulary for.

I've heard of (but never experienced) the "extract twang". Was number three extract? You said BIAB but then you also said "same recipe"...

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
drakerebel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
If the temp strip is properly applied and accurate then it is measuring the fermentation and your stated temps were correct. They were just clearing up that the fermentation, and not the ambient room temperature.

I'm not sure but I'm under the impression (and I could be wrong) that fussel alcohols are not really what I would call (and language is subjective) "twang". I *think* fussel alcohols (if indeed it was fussel alcohol) more of a sharp alchohol taste (like vodka or rubbing alcohol) and *I* think of twang as ... well, more sort of stale and off, like orange juice that has been sitting in a cardboard carton too long compared to orange juice that is fresh. But I could be utterly mistaken in what is basically subjective language to describe an area which we don't have an adequate vocabulary for.

I've heard of (but never experienced) the "extract twang". Was number three extract? You said BIAB but then you also said "same recipe"...
you may very well be describing this correctly and i'm not. what i taste and what the other guy had described was a "boozy" aftertaste. he noted it as a "nail polish or rubbing alcohol" note. it wasn't by all means horrible, just didn't seem like it should be there.

the 3rd batch was the india brown ale in an all grain batch (BIAB). the first (brown ale) only lasted a couple of months and didn't seem to clear out the off flavor. the 2nd and 3rd i have a good amount left of both and i was just going to let it ride and see if it got better but perhaps the alcohol note won't mellow out regardless?

i'd just like to know what's up with my batches and how i can fix the step where this is happening. as far as recipes, all 3 were formulated recipes from the lbhs.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
drakerebel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

maybe i'm adding yeast too early? i usually add when temp is 70-80ish and maybe i ended up having it too high when pitching (inadverntantly)? i'll keep that in check for the next batch.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
drakerebel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i also end up putting more wort in the primary than maybe the next guy. i try and leave the really gunky stuff in the pot but i've thought that i can just have the crud settle when transferring to the secondary. and i have always let the primary go for 2weeks before transferring...not thinking that it's been too long.

i'm just trying to figure out what all batches have in common.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Also, how fresh is your extract? A lot of the extract "twang" people talk about is from older extract, it oxidizes over time. If you are using LME try switching to DME. DME is much more stable and has a better shelf life.

What yeast are you using? What is your pitch rate?

Have you ruled out infection?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Hot," nail-polish-like flavours are usually an indication of overly-high fermentation temperatures. It sounds like you were within the right range, with the exception of the initial pitch. I'm not sure that alone would be enough to produce such off-flavours, but it is something you can pay a little more attention to on your next batch.

How did you aerate? What kind of yeast was it? How was it prepared before pitching (Starter? Rehydrated?)? It sounds like the yeast were stressed, one way or another.

Quick Reply