Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Boosting alcohol

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
Waynep005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldback52 View Post
I'd way rather have a full body better tasting beer than more alcohol.
I agree with you in fact I sometimes like a good low alcohol beer better than a good high alcohol beer, it means I can drink more without getting drunk.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The booster is corn sugar and maltodextrin. It will add both body and sugar (alcohol).

Be careful what you add. Adding more extract (and booster) will make the beer sweeter tasting. Adding plain sugar will make it drier. Both will upset the balance of the beer (hops), so used in large amounts, will change the beer.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Goldback52
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

Sounds like you're destined to go partial mash soon, and then progress to all grain brewing. IMO/IME, those methods are the best way to have more control over the outcome of the batch. To get more ABV, you simply add more base malt to the mash. To get more body, you mash at a higher temperature. I only did a few extract (with specialty grains) batches, before one partial mash, and then went all grain. You don't need to get a lot of gear, if you don't want to. A couple of decent sized kettles (for your batch size) and BIAB is a good way to start. Little investment that you can't recover (easily) too. I did BIAB for a while, before going through a couple of cooler mash tuns and then making my keg mash tun.
I want to do all grain brewing right now but don't think I know enough and don't want to scare my self. My extract brews have all been specialty grains so far thou.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
The booster is corn sugar and maltodextrin. It will add both body and sugar (alcohol).

Be careful what you add. Adding more extract (and booster) will make the beer sweeter tasting. Adding plain sugar will make it drier. Both will upset the balance of the beer (hops), so used in large amounts, will change the beer.
as a beginner homebrewer I have personally purchased the "booster" and from my memory, the capsule that I got would not add that much to either sugars or malto so my theory is still valid.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
as a beginner homebrewer I have personally purchased the "booster" and from my memory, the capsule that I got would not add that much to either sugars or malto so my theory is still valid.
I've never used it. I also never used any of the Mr. Beer kits, products, etc. Went from three extract (with specialty grains) batches to one partial mash then all grain ever since. Also made my own recipes from batch #3 forward (including that one). I've been cooking for over 30 years, so brewing was just an extension of that, for me. I very rarely use a recipe (from others) as more than a very loose guide. More often looking it over and modifying it to fit my tastes. I do the same in brewing. Although I've not brewed anything even loosely based on another person's recipe in a long time. IMO, more fun to make one up myself.

I know there are plenty of brewers using the Mr. Beer products. I also know that there are plenty of more brewers that use recipes that are either online, or kits from a HBS. I just can't bring myself to do either.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #16
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I've never used it. I also never used any of the Mr. Beer kits, products, etc. Went from three extract (with specialty grains) batches to one partial mash then all grain ever since. Also made my own recipes from batch #3 forward (including that one). I've been cooking for over 30 years, so brewing was just an extension of that, for me. I very rarely use a recipe (from others) as more than a very loose guide. More often looking it over and modifying it to fit my tastes. I do the same in brewing. Although I've not brewed anything even loosely based on another person's recipe in a long time. IMO, more fun to make one up myself.

I know there are plenty of brewers using the Mr. Beer products. I also know that there are plenty of more brewers that use recipes that are either online, or kits from a HBS. I just can't bring myself to do either.
yes I hear you but you as as "pro" in the industry you must understand that the cap full of "dust" that they include to "boost alcohol" is literally an enzyme to convert unconverted starches into convertible sugars right? Anyways, I have no dog in this fight but just posting my honest opinion as a one time customer, a long, long time ago

Old 11-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #17
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
yes I hear you but you as as "pro" in the industry you must understand that the cap full of "dust" that they include to "boost alcohol" is literally an enzyme to convert unconverted starches into convertible sugars right? Anyways, I have no dog in this fight but just posting my honest opinion as a one time customer, a long, long time ago
As I mentioned, never touched the stuff, so don't know what's in it. Don't even know what it looks like. I do know that I won't use it in my batches though.

If I don't get to my target OG, there's a few things I would do, depending on the brew. But, just as equally, there's some recipes that I'll just let it go. If I miss by just a few points, that won't impact the end product, then I'm more inclined to let it ride. More a follower of the KISS principle.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #18
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
As I mentioned, never touched the stuff, so don't know what's in it. Don't even know what it looks like. I do know that I won't use it in my batches though.

If I don't get to my target OG, there's a few things I would do, depending on the brew. But, just as equally, there's some recipes that I'll just let it go. If I miss by just a few points, that won't impact the end product, then I'm more inclined to let it ride. More a follower of the KISS principle.
that is a good philosophy in general certainly

I have used an enzyme from time to time ( beano)

I have a big beer early in my career start at 1.120, stall at 1.035, pitch notty, stalled at 1.028, then decided to put in beano, went to 1.024 and started to cool.

I still have a few bottles, a black butte XX clone and while oxidized a little from being 3 years old, it is an amazing beer and scored 42+ in all comps I entered it into........ even with the beano

Old 11-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #19
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Brewed a barleywine last weekend with an OG of 1.130. Pitched the slurry from the starters (did three starter steps) of WLP099 into it. It's fermenting at about 59F right now in the basement. I'm hoping it doesn't go much above 80% attenuation, so that it has a higher FG. I'd like it to land closer to 1.020 than 1.016 (or below). Won't know for a month, or two, still.

BIG beers are very different animals than the 'normal' beers though. I tend to follow the same philosophy. Chill wort fast (large plate chiller), infuse wort with pure O2 to optimize for OG. Pitch slurry made from yeast starter(s). Give it enough time to ferment fully and/or as I want. Keg and then carbonate when space in brew fridge is available. Use slow forced carbonation method to ensure even carbonation (2 weeks not 2-3 days). Pull pints and enjoy.

For the BAMF barleywine (from last weekend) I used about 3x my normal O2 infusion. Took off really well in under 12 hours. Still fermenting well at just over a week.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #20
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Brewed a barleywine last weekend with an OG of 1.130. Pitched the slurry from the starters (did three starter steps) of WLP099 into it. It's fermenting at about 59F right now in the basement. I'm hoping it doesn't go much above 80% attenuation, so that it has a higher FG. I'd like it to land closer to 1.020 than 1.016 (or below). Won't know for a month, or two, still.

BIG beers are very different animals than the 'normal' beers though. I tend to follow the same philosophy. Chill wort fast (large plate chiller), infuse wort with pure O2 to optimize for OG. Pitch slurry made from yeast starter(s). Give it enough time to ferment fully and/or as I want. Keg and then carbonate when space in brew fridge is available. Use slow forced carbonation method to ensure even carbonation (2 weeks not 2-3 days). Pull pints and enjoy.

For the BAMF barleywine (from last weekend) I used about 3x my normal O2 infusion. Took off really well in under 12 hours. Still fermenting well at just over a week.
I am with you, I made a 5g simple pale as my starter for a 11g BW that I will be doing in the very near future. Nice that I get a simple pale out of the deal but even better that I get a 12% BW that I will age for years to come.

Quick Reply