Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Boiling problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
westofthebeltway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boiling problems

I am just about brand new to homebrewing and having a blast! I just finished brewing my first all grain batch and am very excited about it. I was however concerned about how long it took me to bring the wort to a boil. This boil was larger than my 2 previous steeped grains with extract batches. It was about 7 gallons. I currently do not have a designated propane burner, I am boiling on gas stove top.

It took about 40 minutes to bring the wort to boil. Is this an acceptable figure? Would it be recommended to buy a propane burner if I wish to continue boiling this volume of wort? Is it problematic to the wort to take this long to bring it to boil?

Any help or guidance for a new brewer will be greatly appreciated. I am very excited to be undertaking this awesome hobby!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Bramstoker17
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Someone with more experience may know more, but as far as I know it won't negatively impact the beer provided you can get a good vigorous boil going. Really the only negative is just waiting for it to boil is a pain in the ass. A propane burner would be worth it to save time and ensure a good boil. You also want to invest in a wort chiller if you havent already. Ice water baths wont cool full volume boils quick enough

My recipes at Brewtoad:

http://brewtoad.com/users/28920/recipes

Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramstoker17
someone with more experience may know more, but as far as i know it won't negatively impact the beer provided you can get a good vigorous boil going. Really the only negative is just waiting for it to boil is a pain in the ass. A propane burner would be worth it to save time and ensure a good boil. You also want to invest in a wort chiller if you havent already. Ice water baths wont cool full volume boils quick enough
+1

Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

+1, but a burner, watch homebrewfinds.com for a deal, they happen all the time.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Quick Reply