Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Boiling Priming Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nothing special about 2 mins. It just gives me some slack time in case I start doing something else while waiting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't stress out, home brewing is supposed to be relaxing.

My priming solution consists of 2 cups of water and 1 cup of corn sugar tossed in the microwave for 3 minutes. I've made close to 50 batches using this combo with no problems.

Tom

Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I only heat the water to boiling just so the sugar will dissolve readily. Once it's heated I dump it right into the bottling bucket.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 04-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
??????

Off flavors from boiling your sugar water???

Relax you are being uber paranoid. You won't get off flavors from boiling sugar water.

The purpose of boiling the sugar solution is to sanitize it...but it won't affect the flavor fo your beer.
I am not 100% convinced of this. My first 8 batches have all had a bad off flavor (see here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/8-ba...flavor-104841/) and this is one of my few possible remaining causes. I have been boiling the snot out of my sugar water for 10-15 minutes to the point the water turnes slightly caramel colored. I'm afraid I may have been caramelizing the sugar or causing malliard reaction. Anyway I have an experiment in bottles right now where I primed it about 5+ different ways. I'll know for sure in about a week or so. Oh and I have tried to RDWHAHB, it didn't work - so I'm going the paranoia route.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
like2brew
Recipes 

i just bottled a cider, and had a major brain fart and just dumped the priming sugar(no boil) right into my bottling bucket. i checked my bottles this morning and can see a little bit of yeast settling on the bottom of bottle. is this a sign of carbing? either way i'm not worried i'm gonna wait another week pop a top and if theres no sign at all of carbonation i will just drop some carb tabs in there. what do you guys think??

Old 04-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2brew View Post
i just bottled a cider, and had a major brain fart and just dumped the priming sugar(no boil) right into my bottling bucket. i checked my bottles this morning and can see a little bit of yeast settling on the bottom of bottle. is this a sign of carbing? either way i'm not worried i'm gonna wait another week pop a top and if theres no sign at all of carbonation i will just drop some carb tabs in there. what do you guys think??
I think you'll be fine. I originally learned to brew from a friend of a friend who I now recognize was also a n00b, and we brewed a dozen batches before ever reading a book or anything. We always just dumped the priming sugar in dry and it worked adequately. Got some bottle bombs once, but that's about it. We also never sanitized anything, never used the hydrometer, always pitched liquid yeast from the vial, fermented way too hot, etc. etc.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2brew View Post
It'll be fine.

When I prime my 5 liter kegs I just dump in 1 TBS dry...never had a problem...

Old 04-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #18
injen69
Recipes 

never boiled sugar before , no issues

Quick Reply