Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Boiling Priming Sugar (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/boiling-priming-sugar-113524/)

alexavery 04-10-2009 04:37 PM

Boiling Priming Sugar
 
I've read a bunch of threads on this, but just think I need one last confidence boost.

I'm bottling my first batch tomorrow. It seems that most people boil the sugar + water solution for 5-15 minutes. I've seen a few posts, however, where people just boil the water - remove from heat - then add sugar - then prime. I've also seen some posts mentioning potential off flavors from boiling the sugar (carmelizing, scorching, etc.)

So I'm planning to go with the majority - and boil the sugar, but wanted one last bit of advice from the forum. Is that what I should do? If so, do I need to be worried about off flavors from boiling sugar for up to 15 minutes.

Revvy 04-10-2009 04:46 PM

??????

Off flavors from boiling your sugar water???

Relax you are being uber paranoid. You won't get off flavors from boiling sugar water.

The purpose of boiling the sugar solution is to sanitize it...but it won't affect the flavor fo your beer.


Since you are bottling tomorrow, you might find this thread helpful.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

homebrewer_99 04-10-2009 05:00 PM

I don't add any extra water to any of my brews...I take 2 C of the brew itself and heat it up then add the sugar. Once it hits 165F I let it sit for 2 mins or so...the sugar's pasteurized...;)

ifishsum 04-10-2009 05:30 PM

5 minutes is plenty if you're using any water that you would drink. Most of the time I don't even actually let it boil it that long, but it's above 165* long enough anyway. I normally use a cup and a half or so of water, no need to be too exact there but the right amount of priming sugar is important.

culaslucas 04-10-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 (Post 1253446)
I don't add any extra water to any of my brews...I take 2 C of the brew itself and heat it up then add the sugar. Once it hits 165F I let it sit for 2 mins or so...the sugar's pasteurized...;)

That's genius - why didn't I think of that?

alexavery 04-10-2009 10:53 PM

So 165F is the magic temp for pasteurization? How long does it have to stay at that temp? Just 2 minutes?

llazy_llama 04-10-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culaslucas (Post 1253635)
That's genius - why didn't I think of that?

Probably because 1 cup of water has no problem disolving 4-5 oz. of priming sugar, and is way too little to influence the flavor in any way.

uglytunasaloona 04-10-2009 11:32 PM

I'm intrigued by dissolving the priming sugar in the fermented liquid rather then water before priming. I am going to bottle a batch next weekend and will probably try this.

Are there any other comments?

histo320 04-11-2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglytunasaloona (Post 1254389)
I'm intrigued by dissolving the priming sugar in the fermented liquid rather then water before priming. I am going to bottle a batch next weekend and will probably try this.

Are there any other comments?


I will defintely try this when I bottle in 2 weeks.

SumnerH 04-11-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexavery (Post 1254303)
So 165F is the magic temp for pasteurization? How long does it have to stay at that temp? Just 2 minutes?

15-30 seconds.

Flash pasteurization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.