The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > boiler opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
DHdriver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default boiler opinions

Does anyone have any experience/opinions with this setup? They're available. at home hardware.
http://www.rankam.com/Product/Detail/53

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I asked about this one at basspro the main thing the guys didnt like were those side rails and having to lift the pot over them. I have not looked at one to see if they are easily removable.

Brew On!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I am new to home brewing and I started with a 32 quart pot. I found that I quickly went from extract/steeping to full boils and now to all grain. I regret the size brew kettle that I went with, but it is what it is.

My thought is that I should have bought a 10 gallon pot minimum to prevent boil overs. You may find the 30 quart too small rather quickly and end up spending more as you buy another brew kettle as you attempt new methods.

Just my two cents, but I think you will find it too small in the future.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Between the automatic shutoff (you'll need to defeat) and its general design, I say pass on it. Looks like it will really suck for brewing. Especially at only 38k BTU rating.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Between the automatic shutoff (you'll need to defeat) and its general design, I say pass on it. Looks like it will really suck for brewing. Especially at only 38k BTU rating.
Great point on the burner! 38k would be really low. I went with a 60k BTU burner from WalMart and it still takes a while to heat 6 gallons.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camp-Chef-...HP-RL/15422866

Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Foosier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A couple other points. I saw those while contemplating my upgrade to a 10 gal kettle. The valve is very cheap. The metal of the pot is very thin. The legs on the burner do not look too sturdy. Seemed like a lot of failure points to me when I checked them out.

Check out amazon. They sell a WINCO 40qt Aluminum pot for around $40. Add the lid for $20. This thing is bullet proof. Then just get yourself a good burner. Should be options in clearance areas or on craigslist since the holidays are over.

You definitely want to spend your money on quality equipment. That would be the best advice I could give. There are few cheap options that are not just that. Cheap.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosier View Post
A couple other points. I saw those while contemplating my upgrade to a 10 gal kettle. The valve is very cheap. The metal of the pot is very thin. The legs on the burner do not look too sturdy. Seemed like a lot of failure points to me when I checked them out.

Check out amazon. They sell a WINCO 40qt Aluminum pot for around $40. Add the lid for $20. This thing is bullet proof. Then just get yourself a good burner. Should be options in clearance areas or on craigslist since the holidays are over.

You definitely want to spend your money on quality equipment. That would be the best advice I could give. There are few cheap options that are not just that. Cheap.
I really love my Blichmann burners... Rated at 72k BTU each and they easily perform as well (or better) than those rated at 210k BTU by Bayou.

For an aluminum kettle/pot, you don't want thin wall. IMO/IME, 4mm wall thickness is solid. I wouldn't advise going below 3mm thickness there. The ones that people talk about being deformed (bottoms) or cracking are from THIN aluminum construction. They just cannot stand up to the long, high BTU rated, flames applied in brewing. While they can be ok on a stove (electric or NG) when you go to a propane burner, you're setting yourself up for issues down the road.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Bayou classic SQ14 is a popular burner and it can accommodate larger kettles or a keggle. About $43 shipped on amazon. I use the winware 40 qt AL stock pot for my kettle. Nice and thick and AL is easy to modify to add a valve, sight glass, etc.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
jayy42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

30 qts (about 7.5 gal) is also a little small for 5 gallon batches given that you're going to be starting with 6 to 6.5 gallons of wort. You would have to babysit the gas valve to prevent boil-overs.

Quick Reply