The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Boil water with sugar before bottling? Did I use enough sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
markiemark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Boil water with sugar before bottling? Did I use enough sugar?

Ok so I just finished bottling, I put about 1 and 3/4 cup of water and a little over 4 oz of priming sugar in a pot, heated until boiling, then poured it into bottling bucket, then transferred beer into bucket. then bottled. Is that right? Felt weird to have the sugar water which looked just like water go into the bucket, but I think thats what my LHBS told me to do! Just checking.

Also, is a little over 4 oz of priming sugar (corn sugar) enough? I had about 4 and 1/4 or so gallons of beer what with the trub and all...last time i brewed it was overcarbonated so I didnt want to make that mistake again

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
cjever19
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bottled today and used 4.5 oz so I think you'll be fine.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you'll be good to go (in my novice opinion). I bottled today as well, 2 cups of water, 5 oz. priming sugar for 5 gals. My next batch, I'm going to try table sugar. Priming sugar is usually included in my kits, but I want to see how much, or little, taste difference it will have.

Quick Reply