boil or steep grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danger831

Reaction score
my kit says to bring water to a boil add grain and boil for 20 minutes but a read of a lot of people steeping the grain and not boiling it what should I do and for how long thanks.

You definitely don't want to boil your grains. You'll end up with off flavors if you do that. Rather, steep them for 20-30 minutes in water that's around 155 F or so. That way you'll extract the flavors and colors properly with no off flavors.

Definitely steep! If you boil you will extract bitter tannins from the husks of the grains.

What I usually do is put the grains in 50F water on the stove and let them sit as I raise the temp up to boiling. Once it gets up to about 175 or so I take them out and continue raising the temp up to boiling.

Another option would be to get the water to 160-17F and hold that temp for about a half hour as you steep them.

thanks also it says to add the bittering hops and boil with the grain so do I just add them to the steep?

Steep grains for 30 minutes @ 150-158, remove grains,bring wort to a boil and add your bittering hops once you get a boil and boil for 60 minutes (or however long it says to boil it for). What kind of beer are you making and is there more than one hope addition?

Back