Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Boil pot from Walmart?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
jesseflint63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for all the input guys. Picked one up on the way home and plan on using it this upcoming weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a 12 quart one for my 1 gallon experimental batches. It works fantastic and I couldn't be happier for the price. It heats up much faster than my stainless and even aluminum pots allowing me to boil much faster than I normally can.

The ceramic cover is a bit of a concern, however. Like all ceramics, its brittle and thus prone to chipping. If you take care of it, it can last but if you don't you are going to be throwing money away.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Be carefull and dont chip the porcelain and try to get the biggest pot that you can. There is a 16 Qt right beside it for just a tad bit more. Stainless is the preferred material but aluminum and porcelean are OK too. Make sure you sanitize and clean everything that will come in contact with you wort. Spoon, basters, funnels, lid, pots, everything so you dont get a beer infection. Good luck and hope this helps, I'm still a noob ad I am hooked so I have to get the big pots and fermentors. If you think you might stay with it, then go ahead and get the good stuff first time around so you can save a bit of coin.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1475

Early last year,I found a set of 4 SS nested stock pots with lids & steamer trays on sale for some $25 at Giant Eagle. I took the large,polished 20qt for my BK. Since I do 3 gallon partial boils,it works great. And I have those white plastic spoons & paddles to stir with. And with 2 good size SS BK's,my wife & I can brew at the same time.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
najel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have that one as well, so far it works pretty good. But, whenever I have more then 3 gallons or so of water in it, and I lift the pot, I can hear the coating crack under the weight of the pot. So I am not sure how long it will last.

Also, I think I would like to do a full boil for my next batch. We have a turkey fryer, but I want to get a new, clean pot for it. Would something lik this work: http://www.amazon.com/Vasconia-32-Qu...154062&sr=8-19
It would be 8 gallons, can I do a full boil for 5 gallon batches in that? I would probably use about 6 gallons initially to make up for the boiloff, so that would give my 2 gallon space?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

As I mentioned in my previous post, I would go bigger than 8 gallons. You can definitely do a full boil but you have to stand by it the whole time. I have a 10 gallon and if I don't keep an eye on it I will get a boil over, which sucks. I'd take a look at this site:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...ots/c1985.aspx

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
USMCMatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go for it!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
BlainD
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It will chip. It's cheap. Mine has and I have not had any problems with metallic off tastes. I am starting to have serious concern about the handles on the side. Not sure if they are going to stand the test of time and dumping a pot full of boiling hot wort on me dose not sound very batman. I hope to upgrade soon and do all grain.

"Stop drinkin all that water" ~odb

Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
najel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for that link, cincybrewer. Looks like they have some good deals there. Did you drill your pot and put a valve in, too?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
idahobrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check this deal out
http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-MW121...248977&sr=1-21

I just bought one!

Quick Reply