Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Boil off rate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
hopsalot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Boil off rate

Does anybody know an equation for the evaporation of water during boil? I have been using about 6 gallons of water thinking there was a bunch of evaporation, my beer has been tasting a little week and it is been 1 primary, 2 secondary, and 3 in bottles(so its not "green"). It is a Rogue dead guy clone I just think I have been using too much water in my brews, and I did the same with my brown ale in bottles and my hefe in the primary. It doesn’t taste bad I am just a little disappointed. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsalot
Does anybody know an equation for the evaporation of water during boil? I have been using about 6 gallons of water thinking there was a bunch of evaporation, my beer has been tasting a little week and it is been 1 primary, 2 secondary, and 3 in bottles(so its not "green"). It is a Rogue dead guy clone I just think I have been using too much water in my brews, and I did the same with my brown ale in bottles and my hefe in the primary. It doesn’t taste bad I am just a little disappointed. Any suggestions?
How much beer did you end up with? Evaporation rates vary greatly on the conditions you're brewing in, so there isn't a set amount of water loss. You really do have to calculate and adjust for that sort of thing.

Also, are you doing extract or all grain? There's a lot of technique that could be producing less than favorable results.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

What was your original gravity reading? How did that compare to what your expectations were for the batch?

There are a ton of possibilities for why the beer seems underwhelming, starting with the recipe. Boiling off too little water is unlikely the cause. How much wort made its way into the fermenter?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

My practices are not the best i take good notes but obvioulsy I need to mark the 5 gallon mark and graduate from there on my carboys, next time I will think it all the way through before I cry about it. At the time I was waiting for a hydrometer to come in the mail due to my old one reading 70d water at .9, Good news though on my hefe I hit the gravity on the dot 1.050.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Moonpile

Recipes 

hopsalot: are you doing a concentrated boil and then diluting to the intended OG? I wasn't entirely clear from your original post.

Rather than relying on a fixed finished volume, you should take a gravity reading of the concentrated wort then figure out how much water you need to add to dilute it to the intended OG. Brewing software like ProMash makes this easy.

End Volume=Beg Volume * Beg Gravity / End Gravity (which I remembered seeing here).

Quick Reply