Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > boil or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
jjsscram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX
Go read this and you will learn the basics. http://www.howtobrew.com/

I agree most informative site.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #12
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

There are about 3 or 4 brewers that I have come to know through the Internet whom I trust implicitly. John Palmer is one of them. Howtobrew.com is the best free advice you are ever going to get in the realm of homebrewing.

Prosit,

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 05-28-2005, 01:39 AM   #13
Scubadude
Recipes 

Freddie,

I'm new to the homebrew game too. What I did was to start with ingredient kits. They have step by step instructions on what to do. I purchased a beginner's kit that had all the equipment I needed except for a brewpot. I bought a 4 gallon enamel stock pot for that.

Then I bugged a number of local bars for their empty bottles. I got 6 cases for about $6.

I have started drinking my 1st batch(pilsner), I bottled my 2nd batch last night(American Light), and have 3 more kits coming(Sam Adam's clone, IPA, and a stout).

By using these beginner ingredient kits, you learn what the actual cooking process is like. I figure once I have 5 or 10 kits done, I may go to extracts using recipes off this and other forums.

So far, I'd have to say the start of the hobby has started quite nicely.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #14
92greenyj
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I gotta agree with everyone else. im pretty new to this whole thing too. but i've been scouring the net and the bookstores and reading every piece of info on brewing i have come across. I have a 3" 3 ring binder with a sleeve and a half worth of paper that i've printed info from the net on brewing and ingredients. maybe im just anal about reasearching stuff, but when it comes to a hobby with this many variables, you have to. theres hundreds of different types of grains, hops, and yeasts, there hundreds of variables in your water source. theres just so much stuff you need to know about.

And yes, some of your posts have raised both concerns, and questions of your age. your making beer, the most your gonna get out of it for alcohol content is 25%. and honestly, its gonna taste like total ass!! My advice is to do some mo0re research, and stop thinking that this is gonna be a good way to get trashed for cheap. I dont know about everyone else here, but as for myself, i brew and drink beer because i love beer. i love the taste of beer. if i wanna get wasted, i'll drink some JD or Captains. I dont view beer as a drink to get drunk off of.

In Primary:

In Secondary:

On Tap:
Shiner Mock (Shiner Bock Clone)
Highlanders Glory (Strong Scottish Ale)
Krawler Kolsch
Peachy Keen (Peach Ale)
Venemous Vanilla Porter
Zen Kolsch (Green Tea Honey Kolsch)
Slam Dunkel (Dunkelweizen)
Milky Stout (Sweet/Milk Stout)

Bottled:
Barley Bliss (18.5% ABV Barley Wine)
Victory Vanilla Porter
Spiced Holiday Porter

Old 05-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
Ed_Savage
Recipes 

Default Wod? Wud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj
I dont know about everyone else here, but as for myself, i brew and drink beer because i love beer. i love the taste of beer. if i wanna get wasted, i'll drink some JD or Captains. I dont view beer as a drink to get drunk off of.
Amen Brother!!

Old 05-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #16
freddykreuger666
Recipes 

ok ill tell u now that i aint 18 but who really cares. do i have to be 18 to buy all the equipment from my local hbs?

Old 05-28-2005, 07:13 PM   #17
92greenyj
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddykreuger666
ok ill tell u now that i aint 18 but who really cares. do i have to be 18 to buy all the equipment from my local hbs?
you should stick to brewing your own soda pop for a few years kid.

In Primary:

In Secondary:

On Tap:
Krawler Kolsch
Peachy Keen (Peach Ale)
Venemous Vanilla Porter

Bottled:
Victory Vanilla Porter
Spiced Holiday Porter

Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #18
freddykreuger666
Recipes 

kiss my a**e u f*****g mug. i bet u sit on ur fat backside at ur computer all day long and dont go to work.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:11 PM   #19
92greenyj
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddykreuger666
kiss my a**e u f*****g mug. i bet u sit on ur fat backside at ur computer all day long and dont go to work.
on the contrary. i am a manager at a microbrewery/restaurant. I work 50 hours a week on the average. I'm sorry kid, but you need to grow up a bit. do you live in the USA? cause if so, its illegal to drink alcoholic beverages until you are 21. If you want to get tanked go find some bum to buy you some cheap colt 45s or st ides. Its obvious from your posts that you are not serious about homebrewing, or doing any of the research that a past time such as this demands. You're just looking for a cheap way to obtain alcohol until you are of legal drinking age. So, my advice is to stick to the soda pop until you're old enough to drink a real mans drink.

In Primary:

In Secondary:

On Tap:
Krawler Kolsch
Peachy Keen (Peach Ale)
Venemous Vanilla Porter

Bottled:
Victory Vanilla Porter
Spiced Holiday Porter

Old 05-29-2005, 01:26 AM   #20
Scubadude
Recipes 

wow...

1st--I think the personal attacks against green are flat out wrong. If you want help, act like a man. I have a tendancy to treat butt holes they way they need to be treated. Usually they get a beat down, but you're too young for that. Lucky for you because I love a good fight.

2nd--I started this hobby thinking that buying 2 cases of beer for $20 was going to be awesome. But there came a caveat. It's not just throw some crap in a pail and you're done. And the stuff I brewed is way better than anything I can buy in a store. I am learning to appreciate the finer things in beer as a key entree in a meal, and how to brew a great batch of beer. The taste is the thing, and the buzz is not a consideration. If you're looking to brew some Bud, or Miller, or Old Milwaukee, this ain't for you. My beer is old world beer, and it tastes GREAT.

3rd-- You may be underage, but let's remember the history of beer. In the day, even the kids had beer with dinner. My 14 year old gets to try my homebrews. I give him a short glass, about 4 oz, he calls it "liquid bread". Since I am a former chef/restaurant manager, my son, though young, has quite a good pallate. "From the mouth of babes..." Beer has a soul(unless it's from the big breweries). Learn to appreciate that soul, and I'll help you when and where I can. But if you're looking for a way to cater a party for some 14 year olds, you're in the wrong place. They will not not like stuff you make, even if it's as good as mine. Homebrew is too...natural, real, and made for dinner rather than a party.

To the rest...

I don't know why I typed this. The kid will probably never come back. But remember when we were sneaking sips or bottles of dad's Grain Belt or Schafer. That's where Freddy is now. We are all homebrewers by accident. Green and me are food service guys that cooking is 2nd nature to...why not beer too? But for you non-food service guys, it was about getting buzzed for cheap. THEN you learned, as I did, that beer has a life, that it has a soul, and that you appreciate that. Remember that Freddy is a kid, but he will be old enough one day, let's not look down our noses, let's nuture the love of great food washed down with great beer.

Quick Reply