Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Boil Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
lostspring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boil Kettle

Well I thought I was all set to go but found this. I was given a turkey frier that had been never used. I opened the box and found that the inside of the kettle was coated with a black substance that looks similar to teflon. Is this OK to use?
Also I have seen some references to using an enameled pot like the ones used in hot water bath canning. I would assume that you must be sure that the enamel was not chipped. Does anyone use these?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the enamel canning pots and they work great. You do need to make sure that there are no chips, but if you are pretty careful with it, getting chips is unlikely.

It seems like most folks use stainless steel or aluminum, but I have had great success with the canning pots. They are far less expensive too so you can have some money to put elsewhere.

Good luck!

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
MrStrangeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you should be ok but like lostspring sed. make sure there is no chips and obviously avoid metal contacting it that would casue scratches and chips. and if ur still unsure. boil some water in it for a while let it cool and taste the water. if it tastes good you should be all set. if it tastes funny u might wana stay away.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

If it's aluminum, it may have been used to boil water. If so, then the black stuff is what you want on there. I'd wash it with a scrubby, but gently, then boil some more water to recoat it. Aluminum and Stainless make great pots, but if you use a porcelain pot, you have to make sure it isn't cracked or chipped.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

That's why I waited for Giant Eagle to put the nested stock pot set on sale. There's,like 4-5 polished stainless steel stock pots with lids & steamer trays in there for $30! Even had 4 metal hangers if you didn't want the steamer tray resting on the ring around the bottom 4th of the pot.
That steamer tray will come in handy for BIAB partial extract brews! Not to mention,momma got 3-4 brand new shiny SS stock pots to play with. She's happy gettin something she's been wanting,I get something I need (namely,the 5G stock pot,the biggest one!). So everybody's happy!
Just like Gary Martin says,get her somethin,get you somethin with no complaining. Generally,anyway. But not me...at least most of the time. She loves my beer 100% more than BCB's (Big Corporate Brews)...kinda makes ya think of PCB's,doesn't it?(Petroleum Chemical Base) So I should be fine doing 3-3.5G brews...

Quick Reply