Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blue moon clone w/honey or summer ale w/honey?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Lind13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blue moon clone w/honey or summer ale w/honey?!

I am looking to do my second all grain batch and would love to try using some honey! A friend of mine has his own fresh honey so I intend to brew with about 3lbs this weekend. I love a cold blue moon but I'm not sure using an extract recipe for it and honey would be that good. I have never brewed that or a summer ale (did about 8 or so extracts of various and just moved all grain) this will also be the first beer I keg! I am looking for something crisp to get me excited for the hopefully soon to come weather! Any suggestions?!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
dozer5454
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You could do a Wheat beer. I tossed in an ounce of corriander and an ounce of sweet orange peel in last 15 of the boil. Then did another ounce of corriander in the secondary for an additional week. Came out almost identical to ShockTop. Very crisp finish. Maybe you could use the honey in the last 15 minutes also to give it some nice floral notes. That's the fun of brewing, you can go as crazy as you want.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Lind13
Recipes 

Hmm I really love shock top so I may have to look into that, I don't think much is better than shock top on tap!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
jetmechG550
Recipes 

I just brewed a Honey Lager extract kit from my LHBS. It's fairly simple and the wort was pretty damn tasty. It called for using a Wyeast 2112 California Common yeast so you don't have worry about getting down to lagering temps. It's also DME not LME.

On Deck: ????

Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
Lind13
Recipes 

Is there an all grain for that recipe, i have actually been thinking about doing a cali common because i dont have the ability to lager. I think you just inspired my brew this weekend! I love me some lager. Was only looking into blue moon because my girlfriends brother is getting married and wondered if i could keg something similar for him, but my taste buds come first!!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lind13 View Post
Is there an all grain for that recipe, i have actually been thinking about doing a cali common because i dont have the ability to lager. I think you just inspired my brew this weekend! I love me some lager. Was only looking into blue moon because my girlfriends brother is getting married and wondered if i could keg something similar for him, but my taste buds come first!!
I Just kegged 15 gallons of a blue moon clone for a friends wedding.It is very good ( drinking a bottled one right now as a matter of fact) I have made it several times now and it is easy and very tasty. No idea about adding the honey but followed the recipe WAYNE gave me via PM and it was simple and easy..if you are intereted I will give you the recipe.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Lind13
Recipes 

I would love the recipe!!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

BLUE MOON CLONE 3-23-11
5 LB 2 ROW
4 LB WHITE WHEAT MALT
1 LB FLAKED OATS( I use quaker oats)
.5 LB RICE HULLS
Mashed with 1.25 qts per lb of grain at 154 degrees for 60 minutes.
Double sparged to 6 gallons .( I lose 1 gallon an hour in the boil)
60 minute boil
1 oz hallertau @ 60
.17 oz coriander @15
.5 oz Valencia orange peel at 5
Pitched s-05

I use washed yeast with starters, and keep the temp down in the mid to low 60's with a swamp cooler. it is an easy recipe,

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Lind13
Recipes 

How do you do the orange peel? Do you just buy an orange and do what to it? Or do you buy it at the LHBS? And what kind of wyeast would I use??

Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
jetmechG550
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lind13 View Post
It's a recipe from one of their kits, it's greatfermentations.com Maybe if you call them they can point you in the right direction. I just got into this myself and have not started venturing towards all grain yet. I miss the part in your original post about all grain sorry.
On Deck: ????

Quick Reply