Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blue Moon Clone for beginners

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
roadto15RTR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Blue Moon Clone for beginners

Hey all,

I am a college Junior and am about to start brewing beer (My girlfriend is getting me a brewing kit for christmas and she appears to be going all out.) My 2 buddies who are engineers are also wanting in on the project, so we for sure have the brains and the patience to get everything right. My first question is, we want our first batch to be something we all love and will enjoy, so we settled on a blue moon clone, so how hard would that be for absolute beginners? Also, if this is feasible for beginners, could someone walk me through the ingredients and step my step directions? I know there are other threads about this, but it would be great if someone could take the time to really "dumb things down." Thanks a lot everyone who takes the time to help me out!
Cheers and Roll Tide!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadto15RTR View Post
Hey all,

I am a college Junior and am about to start brewing beer (My girlfriend is getting me a brewing kit for christmas and she appears to be going all out.) My 2 buddies who are engineers are also wanting in on the project, so we for sure have the brains and the patience to get everything right. My first question is, we want our first batch to be something we all love and will enjoy, so we settled on a blue moon clone, so how hard would that be for absolute beginners? Also, if this is feasible for beginners, could someone walk me through the ingredients and step my step directions? I know there are other threads about this, but it would be great if someone could take the time to really "dumb things down." Thanks a lot everyone who takes the time to help me out!
Cheers and Roll Tide!
That's a very easy beer style. It might be most helpful, since you want step-by-step directions to order a "clone" recipe from someplace like austinhomebrew.com. Like this: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10902 You'd need the "extract" recipe, and the liquid wit yeast, and you'd be all set!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Welcome to the addiction (Hobby?)!

What style of Blue Moon do you enjoy? Belgian White (wheat beer), Pale ale, Red ale?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
roadto15RTR
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Welcome to the addiction (Hobby?)!

What style of Blue Moon do you enjoy? Belgian White (wheat beer), Pale ale, Red ale?
I like the Belgian White

Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Excellent - certainly agree with Yooper, a great beginner style, and an "off the shelf" clone recipe is probably your best bet. That will give a chance to run through the full process of making beer with relatively predictable results.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Nikeirons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just kegged the blue moon clone recipe from Austin homebrew. It's really good

Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The best thing about doing a Wheat beer first is that they are the fastest turnaround beer...within 10-14 days you can bottle and actually have a good beer when its done carbonating.

Many ales only get better after 4-6+ weeks of aging...wheat beers get worse(relatively) the longer they sit around IMO.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
tchamber
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I'll add my vote for the AHS BM Clone extract kit. Very easy and great taste / feel.

Quick Reply