Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blowoff tube or airlock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
mayday1019
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blowoff tube or airlock?

hey Guys,

I am about to rack the wort into the primary. I am using a 6 gallon carboy. Is that enough room to not have to worry about using the tube?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday1019
hey Guys,

I am about to rack the wort into the primary. I am using a 6 gallon carboy. Is that enough room to not have to worry about using the tube?
Is it a 5 gallon batch--I assume yes.

It depends on how vigorous a ferment you have: you may or may not need a blowoff tube. If you prefer the airlock, you could start with the airlock and keep a close eye on it. If it is, or appears close to, spewing kreusen into the airlock, take it off and install a blow-off hose.

If you have the gear you need, there's really no reason not to just start with the blowoff hose, though. It *is* an airlock--exact same principle.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just brewed a hefeweizen (5 gal batch in 6.5 gal tank) and the krausen made it about 1/4 way up the airlock before receding. I should have used a blowoff hose for that one. Wheat is known for the big krausen, and I also used a starter adding the the quick fermentation. With a 6 gallon,you may want to use a blow off hose.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 3 Posts

It'll probably be fine with just the airlock. It's still pretty cold where you are (I think) and you (I assume) aren't throwing it on top of an old pile of yeast (you're pitching new yeast, right?). You're ferment probably won't be explosive, you Should be okay in the 6 gallon carboy, if it looks really full when finally get it into the carboy, use a blow off.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
mayday1019
Recipes 

Thanks Guys,

So i just jam the top of the blow off tube into the top of the carboy, and the other end into some sort of jar, right?

Thanks again for all of the help guys!

Old 03-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
KopyKat

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use a 6 gallon carboy and usually have 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 gallons of wort. I always use a blowoff tube regardless of the amount and I leave the blowoff tube in place throughout the fermentation until I rack to secondary. I see no reason not to play it safe and no reason to change to a airlock halfway through primary fermentation.
BTW, an easy and effective blowoff tube is taking the parts out of the main body of a three piece airlock and pushing a 1/2" clear tube onto the center stem. Make sure the airlock doesn't have a bottom screen or restriction. If so, cut it off. See pic below for examples. The one on the left is unrestricted and can be made by cutting off the restricted portion.

The Primary you see had 5 1/4 gallon to start and I pitched a starter that had been stepped up twice. I definately had lots of blowoff but in large part this was because I always put in big starters.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Quick Reply