Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blowoff question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
dlwheeler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blowoff question

I had to use a blowoff tube for a double IPA I'm brewing, and have now racked it to a secondary fermenter. I checked it with a hydrometer, and it's at about 5% abv. I'm thinking it should be higher. Since I had big overflow (Had to clean the ceiling), is it possible that I lost yeast? Should I add yeast to the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
acuenca
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

We need to know:

1) what OG you started at
2) what FG you're at now
3) How long has it been fermenting
4) Potentially your recipe

Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

you should leave all beers in primary for a full 4 weeks so that they yeast can finish and settle out of the beer.

you should not add yeast to secondary, you should just leave in primary longer.

if the hydrometer reading has stopped changing for 3 days straight, then adding more of the same yeast will do nothing. if the hydrometer reading has not stayed constant for 3 days, then you racked to secondary too soon.

Tap: Centennial IPA (SMASH)
Tap: Dogfish Head Ginger Saison
Bottle: Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA clone
Secondary: Flemish Brown Sour Ale

Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphish View Post
you should leave all beers in primary for a full 4 weeks so that they yeast can finish and settle out of the beer.

you should not add yeast to secondary, you should just leave in primary longer.

if the hydrometer reading has stopped changing for 3 days straight, then adding more of the same yeast will do nothing. if the hydrometer reading has not stayed constant for 3 days, then you racked to secondary too soon.
I know at least one moderator here who would disagree with the 4-weeks figure, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I'm thinking this was racked way too soon. If your recipe really is a DIPA, 5% is about half of what you're looking for (maybe a bit more).

A single hydrometer reading doesn't tell you much about whether the yeast are done, that comes from observing several days in a row and looking for no change. We really do need to know all the details. The blow-off could have played a part, but without knowing times, gravity measurements, etc. there's no good way to tell.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
ozzy1038
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No matter what, you should have measured the gravity over a 3 day period before you secondary. Not that it's needed. What was your OG and what is it now? What did your recipe say/estimate ABV? More info is needed for an accurate assessment.

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For a truly accurate diagnosis a picture of the ceiling before cleanup is needed.

Just kidding, but really, picture next time.

And it sounds like you racked too soon, but given time and the fact that it sounds like you were somewhere around half attenuated you probably carried over enough yeast to be fine.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Quick Reply