Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blow Off Tube Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
bennyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Blow Off Tube Question

Are there any rules of thumb as to when to use a blow off tube? I understand that higher gravity beers may need one. But being inexperienced, I'd like to avoid a volcano if I can.

Are there any certain styles, OG limits, or any other variables that would determine one to use a blow off.

I've seen how some have attached them to the airlock on their buckets but it seems like they would be much more ideal to be used with a carboy. How are they connected to the carboy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would just keep an eye on fermentation if you can, if you see krausen coming up too close to the neck of the carboy, or lid of the bucket, just disassemble your airlock, dump the water and attach a 5/8 inch (fatter than your standard tubing) plastic tube to the inside stem of the airlock, drop the other end of the tube in a bowl or maybe a 2 liter with some sanitized water in it.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well the only real safe way to avoid a volcano is to use a blow off tube. I have never heard of any rules about using them but I will not hurt anything if you do. I use one for the initial 3-4 days of fermentation.

I use a 1.25 inch tube which fits snufly into the carboy opening.

Gary

Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use one with all my beers for the first few days--until fermentation has slowed a bit. Then I attach an airlock.

With a carboy, I have a bigger diameter tubing (1" inner diameter, I believe) that fits snugly in the mouth of the carboy.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
Poolplayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I made a batch of single hop bitter with no need for a blow off tube. Next time I made a double batch and BOTH needed a tube. insert:>mad dash to hardware store<. Ya just never know when things are gonna go so just be prepared.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
bennyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for the quick replies. I suppose it does make a little more sense to use a blow off all of the time "just in case."

As I have yet to make my first brew, I'll have to wait and see what happnes......

Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Usually, you get a piece of really wide tubing and just jam it down into the mouth of the carboy, so that it seals. I think the carboy mouth is 1-3/8 inches in diameter, so that's the tubing size you use (probably listed as 1-1/4 inner diameter). Get 3-1/2 feet of it, so that you'll have enough to bend 180 degrees and point down into a bucket next to the fermenter.

Here's a too-complicated DIY blowoff tube construction:

http://www.examiner.com/x-12136-Wichita-Home-Brewing-Examiner~y2009m7d13-Build-your-own-blow-off-tube

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 12-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I put a blowoff tube on most of my carboys for the first couple days of fermentation. Better safe then sorry. There are several ways to do it, but I just use the orange carboy caps with the two nipples on top and put a hose off the larger nipple to a growler.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 12-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I have found that whenever I use Wyeast Irish Ale, Scottish Ale, for dark ales or California Lager for steam beer I experience stronger fermentation activity. I have also had less blow off with similar batches that were AG than I did when brewing with extract. Montanaandy

Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
Poolplayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Nothing like running down to Home Depot and running into a group of "helpers" and saying "I need a 4' section of blowoff tube before my bung explodes out of my primary and I have Krausen everywhere!!"

Quick Reply