Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blow off tube for the duration of fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
DBUFF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blow off tube for the duration of fermentation

As long as sanitation is maintained and a descent
seal is provided, could one use a blow off tube instead of an airlock for the duration of a one month long fermentation/aging?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I do it all the time. If I start with a blowoff tube in general don't switch in the middle of fermentation.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1013 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
I do it all the time. If I start with a blowoff tube in general don't switch in the middle of fermentation.
Same for me...

Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Same here, I see no point in switching it. In fact you could make a case that it is safer as switching to an airlock would involve pulling hoses or stoppers out and letting any nasties chilling on the lid or around the seal fall in.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I feel like someone should give a counter argument.

But so far as I can tell the only reason to switch back to an airlock is the presumption that blow off tubes are unweildy, large, and cumbersome and you''re just dying to get rid of them. But if you''re not.... Well, then...

In fact online Palmer doesn't talk about switching back. He just talks about locks vs. Tubes. He assumes the tube is forever.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just switched mine for a few reasons. First I use a swamp cooler and the over flow was making the the water in the swamp cooler smell horrible. Second I'm going to need the tube for tomorrow's brew.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I use a blowoff on anything that is going to age long term in the carboy (e.g. apfelwein). Main reason is that it takes a heck of a lot longer for a 1-gallon blowoff jug to dry out than an airlock. Fill it with sanitizer, hook it up, and forget it for a few months. All good.

If you are actually getting crud in the blow-off you should clean it out, but once it settles down you can clean it one last time and leave it.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
dmob29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I usually use a blow off tube for the first week or so or when I actually remember to throw an airlock on it. My blow off tubes are relatively small as I use a 3/8" tube with a cutoff ball point pen housing. Fits perfectly in the stopper hole, easily changed out and yes it seems small, but have had no blow outs in the 5+ years of brewing.

And back to more of the point, like bennie mentioned, I am gonna need it for another brew coming up! Never had any issues with stuff falling back into the brew either.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
h-bar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 32

When I first started home brewing, I used a blow-off tube for the primary, and an airlock for the secondary. At the time I thought I was necessary because the primary was so "active." Nothing horrible happened and my beer was fine. Then again, maybe I was making a mistake and luckily suffered no consequences Nowadays, I only use an airlock because it's more convenient and supposedly fewer hop flavors are lost with an airlock.

Quick Reply