Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blow-off tube in buckets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Rubberband
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Blow-off tube in buckets?

I see pictures of glass carboys with a blow-off installed and I can easily understand how this works. My question is with an Ale Pail, how do you put a blow-off tube in one of these?

I have read a few threads and it is mentioned that they are using a Pail and a blow-off tube. I just have a hard time getting my head around this concept given that my bucket has a tiny grommet and it would take something like a 1/4" line to fit into this hole but I don't know that it would seal real well and I question what kind of volume I could get out of it anyway. Any pictures would really be appreciated, I am a visual learner.

I just brewed a Hefe and the fermentation was pretty lively. I had to clean and sanitize my air-lock twice due to foam entering before it finally died down. I like the concept of a blow-off but I don't want to go with glass yet as I am not really set with my process.

zum Wohl

"A man who carries a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Go here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airl...ng-over-95581/

Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

attach it directly to the center post of your airlock

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have seem people that use a 3 piece airlock but without the floating part or cap and just put a hose right onto the stem inside the airlock. That might be yourbest bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
I have seem people that use a 3 piece airlock but without the floating part or cap and just put a hose right onto the stem inside the airlock. That might be yourbest bet.
That is the way to do it. You probably won't need to use a blow off tube for the majority of your brews. If you get a batch that has an extremely active ferment and begins to foam back through the airlock, then you can disassemble the airlock and attach the hose. On the rare occasion I have needed one, I have left it in until the kraeusen subsided. Then I reassembled the airlock and continued as usual.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
homebrewflyfish
Recipes 

The vinyl tubing that came with my kit fits perfectly in the grommit. Actually, you have to work pretty hard to get it in there, but that makes me feel good that it's making a good seal. I've been considering cutting the edge of the tubing on an angle to make a point of sorts to make it easier to get the tubing in there.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
Rubberband
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Who is the real engineer here?

Thank you, each person who answered my original post. The link to Revvy's pictures was perfect and it seems so obvious.

I am continuously amazed by some of the ideas that I find in this forum. I am an engineer by education. I work in manufacturing where I design, troubleshoot, improve machines, processes and products. I pride myself in being reasonably ingenious and very common sense. I have to step aside and take a back seat to home brewers. You guys are the true engineers finding the simple solutions in the chase for making the perfect beer. I should have figured out the solution, I use a three piece air lock, but I was caught up in the panic of trying to keep my beer from being contaminated and missed the obvious.

zum Wohl

"A man who carries a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

joshrosborne Likes This 
Old 01-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberband View Post
Thank you, each person who answered my original post. The link to Revvy's pictures was perfect and it seems so obvious.
Glad it helped, that's why it's there...

If you like that, and bottle you will find some of my gizmos and tips here as well..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBrewer View Post
attach it directly to the center post of your airlock
The problem with this mechanism and a good blow off is the constriction point in the cross in the air lock opening. This cross can still easily become plugged. A better solution that presents less restriction to the krusen movement is to push the tubing directly into the grommet. This should handle most blow off cases though a few people have managed to have ferments vigorous to plug even this. The large tubes used with carboys are even better.

Another solution is ferm-cap or foam control. Add a couple drops during the boil and boil overs and blow offs are much less likely.

Craig

Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
The problem with this mechanism and a good blow off is the constriction point in the cross in the air lock opening. This cross can still easily become plugged. A better solution that presents less restriction to the krusen movement is to push the tubing directly into the grommet. This should handle most blow off cases though a few people have managed to have ferments vigorous to plug even this. The large tubes used with carboys are even better.

Another solution is ferm-cap or foam control. Add a couple drops during the boil and boil overs and blow offs are much less likely.

Craig

Not if you do what a lot of us do and saw the the crosses of the airlocks as soon as we get them...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply