Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blow off tube

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #1
Atticmonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blow off tube

Ive read in a couple places about people using "blow off tubes" during the first few days of fermentation in which excess foam and other things are expelled from the carboy. One source stated that the foam took with it excessive hop bitterness and other bi-products that tend to cause hangovers. My question is if I am using a larger fermentation vessel, in my case I plan on using an eight gallon plastic conical, will the brew be worse off than if I were to use a carboy with a blow off tube? Thanks.

Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
ScottT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Having never compared identical brews done with both fermentation procedures, I can't really say for sure.

I use a 6.5 gallon carboy for my primary fermentation and get blow-off through my blow-off tube only about 25% of the time. Every beer I have brewed has met or exceeded my expectation. I haven't noticed offensive bitterness from those that did not expell through the blow-off tube.

I'm sure that it can't hurt to get rid of that foam but I don't worry about it when it doesn't. That stuff will settle to the bottom when the krausen falls anyway and will be left behind during the transfer to the secondary.

Either way, it get's left out of the finished beer.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply